Question about penetrol !

quebec#1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi ! Ive seen a few post about a product called penetrol and it seems to give good results, i have a glastron with gold metal flake and most of the clear is gone and now its quite dull ive tried waxes and compounds and it makes it worse at times . My question about Penetrol, can i just apply it to a clean finish or should i wet sand it first ?

BillP

Captain
Re: Question about penetrol !

Using Penetrol on the surface is like putting ArmorAll on it. A temporary fix that goes away quickly. Wiping Penetrol on the surface is like wiping oil on it but you can't hurt anything doing it. Sanding isn't necessary. I use Penetrol to thin oil based paint...makes it go on smooth.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Penatrol is also great when attacking rust on a trailer. Get as much of the rust & scale off, then hit the area with phosphoric acid (Like Naval Jelly), then a liberal coat of Penatrol (it penatrates the metal and provides a coating) & let dry for a couple of days. Top off with your favorite paint - like Rustoleum and it is ready to eat.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

I'm a big guy..... but I've never been hungry enough to eat a trailer. :) <br /><br />EDIT - 200th post! Guess I could have made it more on topic.....

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I used it on a Can-Am I had years ago. It looked spectacular! Until 6 months later. It all dried up, cracked, peeled off in places and turned yellow. <br /><br />I managed to get it all off. What a chore that was. I cleaned the hull even better but it did the same thing.<br /><br />Now, the guy who owned the boat before me had buffed it so much some of the gel coat colors were worn thru. This may or may not have complicated things. Not sure. Plus we're talking about 1979 gel coat too.

Sal G

Petty Officer 3rd Class

All depends how badly oxidized.<br />Have used penetrol and I kind of like it- though if your hull is white, penetrol will make it look ivory in color.

1986mariner150

Petty Officer 2nd Class

penetrol did nothing for my boat. number 7 rubbig compound followed by 3m's finnesse it made it look almost new in an afternoon. penetrol does make the brush marks go away in oil base paint, it almost looks sprayed, but imho does nothing for metal flake boat hulls.

quebec#1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well i used penetrol this weekend on my boat and im very happy with the results ! I dont have the $$$ right now to clear coat the boat so i thought about first wet sanding the front of the boat and then buffing it, well it did help some what but time is something i dont have right now. I then applied penetrol on a rag soaked real good and then used a clean rag after that and saw some improvement. On saterday i went for a second coating without touching it with a follow up and today it was dry and brought the metal flakes back to near original looks even on the most faded and chalky parts. I would sudgest that you lightly wet sand the whole boat and use a rag that will not leave any lint but all in all it turned out way better than i thought , some light streats but the metal flakes are now back in shape !