Spotlight Placement

mlackore

Cadet
I am going to be installing a Spartan, sealed beam, mechanical remote spotlight on my Sylvan Skipper 18 I/O ( same boat as a Starcraft Holiday 18 I/O basically). It's a period light for my boat that I have gone through and restored. I have seen a huge variety of locations for these. Everything from way up front, centered at the peak of the bow......centered in front of the windshield,......and offset either port or starboard near the gunwales in front of the windshield. I even saw one mounted on the dash, behind the windshield.

So, based on the experience by you guys out there, what is the best location to get the most from this light?

Cheers

Mike

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Spotlight Placement

Best place is as far forward as you can get (and still operate)with nothing in front of it to reflect light back to you. Even the bow will reflect light back and make it hard to see. Behind the windshield? Wow, bet that guy is blinded everytime he turns it on.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Best place is as far forward as you can get (and still operate)with nothing in front of it to reflect light back to you.

Yes, as far forward as possible, and LOW... not on a bow rail, not on any kind of mounting post. Mount directly to the foredeck. You need to avoid blinding other boaters too.

haulnazz15

Captain

Agreed, as far forward as you can get it, and I generally like it offset from the centerline if able. I normally like it offset to the left on a right-side helm (most popular configuration). Normally there will be a split in the bow rails to allow people to walk through when at a dock or on the trailer, you don't want to be stepping over/kicking it constantly when boarding the boat. If you offset it from the middle of the bow, it keep it out of the way. Then again, it may not be a issue on your particular boat.

mlackore

Cadet

Well, my Sparton spotlight is on a short pedestal and turns left to right and also up and down.

SPartan.jpg

Mounting is low is going to be kinda tough. Below is the most common installation of this style of light that I have seen. Thoughts?

Boat_Alum_bad_engine.jpg

haulnazz15

Captain

Well, that is about as low as it gets. When we say mount it low, we just mean put it on the deck like in the picture, not up on top of a railing or arch. The location in the pic isn't bad, but again, the further forward you mount it the better. Being as though it is mechanical, I don't know how long a cable you have available for the controls.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Nice unit although I don't know if I'd want that housing right in my line of sight like that. I've got no experience with the mechanical ones though so don't know how much of a choice you have or distance from the dash you can put it. Definitely moving it toward the centerline would be my choice although with that boat I guess the windshield opening would get in the way.

Alright - out to the bow it goes!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I use a search light a good bit I do a considerable amount of night fishing and yes reflected light back into your eyes is a problem. In my case I have mounted very close to the side rail and up a bit high but I am running a pontoon and get a good bit of reflection from the front fence and after several trys this seams to be the best location for my use. I spring loaded the mount so I can fold it down out of the way of the dock cover.

light 2 512.JPG

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Well, that is about as low as it gets. When we say mount it low, we just mean put it on the deck like in the picture, not up on top of a railing or arch

Exactly.

mlackore

Cadet

Thanks a bunch guys! Like Scoutabout said..."out to the bow it goes". I'll post some photos of the final configuration when it's all finished up and installed.