ideas to cover battery box

devildg4671

Seaman Apprentice
I'm looking at ways I can cover my battery box. I removed a cushioned seat that use to sit atop of the box. The inside dimension are 26" x 10 1/2 and 28 1/2. I need something sturdy but haven't came up with any ideas except for using starboard overlayed. Any ideas wouldbbe great

Attachments

• imagejpeg_2.jpg
    imagejpeg_2.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 0

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: ideas to cover battery box

3/4 plywood with a piece of sponge rubber and cover in a vinel cover

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Put a deck hatch over it.
There are dozens and dozens of sizes available.

25525-1-lg.jpg

greatlakesskipper.com

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer

you can use a HDPE plastic cutting board. They are in expensive, come in many sizes ans do not rot.

devildg4671

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Guys,
I was looking into a 13x30 hatch cover but I'm very unsure if it'll fit and greatlakesskipper doesn't except returns if it doesnt fit.

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Guys,
I was looking into a 13x30 hatch cover but I'm very unsure if it'll fit and greatlakesskipper doesn't except returns if it doesnt fit.

Looks like the opening isn't square / is taperd down on the sides, from that picture, so getting a pre-fabbed hatch to fit the opening might be difficult at best.. I would go with the Starboard and a couple of S/S hinges and a latch? Can be had in black or white, buy it in different sizes and cut it just like plywood and will last just about forever. A little on the pricey side for the material, but will fit any size that you want if you can't find a hatch that'll fit (you cut it), is an electrical insulator and, like I said, will last just about forever.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

Use Delrin. You can get it in just about any thickness and it's very easy to machine.

devildg4671

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks everyone, I went out and had a 3/4" Starboard cut to overlay ontop of the battery box. What would be the best way to to attach it ? Ive looked at several hinges and different types of hinges. Should I go with a concealable hinge or a exterior hinge ?