bondo repair question

rbigg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've got a couple of corners on my fiberglass CC boat transom that have been<br />smacked around during docking or something. Both corners are skinned.<br /><br />I need to make a repair with compound contours. What's the best way to get<br />a smooth surface with bondo so it minimizes shaping with a rotary file or<br />grinder? Does working it with a wet wood paddle minimize cling and stick<br />and give me a reasonably smooth surface to work on?

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: bondo repair question

well first, dont use bondo... use the right products for the right job...use something made for the marine enviroment. marine tex is very popular... marine filler.. maybe somethiing like this

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

Listen to mike! Bondo will look good until the first time you hit some waves and it cracks or falls off completely.

rbigg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the word on not using bondo. If you guys hadn't told me otherwise, I sure as heck would have ended up using plain old auto bondo.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Marine Tex is absolutely the very best you can get for some marine applications but I don't recommend it for this one. It tends to sag until it cures. When cured it is as hard as steel and will be very difficult to smooth to a compound shape.

diamonddave

Seaman

What a coincidence, I just unwrapped the boat, a 30' Pacemaker and started to the new projects, the first of which was to solve the leaking window problem in the salon. All trim is off and there is a lot of rotten/missing wood down there, I was thinking of using bondo to fill in the voids behind the glass then replace the trim using either 3M 5200 or equiv. What I read here is that this is not a good idea? Thanks for the input, I love this site.<br /><br />Regards and God Bless<br />Diamond Dave

Fly Rod

Commander

Marin tex is excellent!!! but gel coat does not bond well with marine tex.<br />If the boat is fiberglass use gel-coat<br /><br />take a knife break out any broken gel coat. Take #30 sand paper ,rough it up to approximatly 1/2" beyond. do the gel coat maybe 2-3coats no wax.<br />Sand with sand paper 120 then 220 then 300 then 400 and then with 400.<br />It is labor intensive!!!

gator79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I thought body filler was originally designed for fiberglass repair, and when some realized it stuck to metal, thats when it starting being used for autos. I may be wrong. they also have the fiberglass reinforced filler.

diamonddave

Seaman

So back to my question, can I use bondo to fill voids between fiberglass and interior trim, or is there a product better suited for the task. I'd love to start this repair soon but don't want to have to do it twice.<br /><br />Regards<br />Diamond dave

bubbakat

Captain

They make a marine bondo. It is green in color.<br />You can find it in quart can at most any marine store.

crab bait

Captain

i'd use re-inforced MARINE bondo.. then use marine-tex on top for the final finish coat..