Saltwater and Aluminum(?) boats??

95roadking

Cadet
I"m in florida saltwater fishing out of my Lund (Tyee). Guy tells me sooner or later the rivets will let go!! Something about electric and salt will eat the aluminum?? Any truth to this??

Slow Ride

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Saltwater and Aluminum(?) boats??

Living on the Gulf Coast I can tell you that I have seen 1000s of aluminum boats on the water. And, I'm sure they all leak a little, just like those boats that are fresh water only. I will say this, salt will collect in every nook and cranny without question, and salt water will corrode aluminum over time. It won't be the old reddish rust, it will be the pitting and discoloration that is a little harder see at first. Electrolysis happens when two dis-similar metals are in contact with each other or when there is a grounding problem on the boat. That said, I don't think electroysis is as big a concern as simple salt corrosion. (In my opinion) Hopefully we can get a little more guidance from some of the saltier guys on here. I have similar questions about this topic. Perhaps using a small sacrificial anode on the boat (motor usually) will help to slow down the process?!?!

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

1000s of aluminum boats in salt water, some commercial fish boats have been continiously afloat for over 40 years. They key is the correct type and amount of anodes on both the drive and hull. Do not ever use the hull as the ground circuit for the electrical system such as in a car. Of course if you trailer a good flush and washdown works wonders.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Palmer Johnson builds multimillion dollar ocean going yachts with aluminum hulls. Dan is right. NEVER,NEVER use the hull as a ground. And keep up with the zinc anodes. Eat them up instead of the hull.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

and be sure to use the correct bottom paint.

most rivet problems on salt water tinnies come from the pounding on rough water, as long as you have taken the right steps discussed above. And all that is more important for a moored boat than one usd a couple hours, I'd think.

Another reason to have a battery switch even on a trailered boat.

Philster

Captain

I've got a tin boat we use in brackish and full salt. Aluminum is very easy to clean. The maintenance of anodes is easy. Anodes give themselves up so that the hull doesn't. The general upkeep is pretty mundane.

Alum boats are great options for salt, as noted. None of the maintenance is anything elaborate or particularly special when you look at it versus any other rig. Heck, most alum boats are built with a utilitarian purpose, so they are easier to care for, IMHO. Shiny, cool, glass boats are the hardest!

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Yep aluminum makes a great saltwater boat.

tangentAir

Recruit

Yep aluminum makes a great saltwater boat.

When you wash them down do you ever rinse the insides or just the hull and flush the motor? I am looking at replacing a fiberglass sailboat with an alum fishing/cuddy that has and will spend most of its time in lake michigan except for the odd visit to Fl and Tx for vacations.

kfa4303

Banned

You hear a new on everyday. I've lived on the Gulf Coast my whole life and I'd say most folks around here run aluminum boats of some sort. Everything ranging from jon boats to flats skiffs to air boat to my old aluminum flatback canoe. The saltwater won't hurt the the aluminum per se, but you should flush your motor and rinse off trailer off after a day at the beach. I pretty much give everything a good hosing down when I get home, unless I take the river out in which case everything gets rinsed and flushed on the return trip.