Trim sending unit test w/ voltmeter?

TorchedGT

Seaman
So I was out on the water the other weekend for the first time and while hanging out in the cove I wanted to see if I could get some things working (it was more of a sea trials kinda thing, first time with new motor - the critical stuff worked but it still needs tinkering :rolleyes: )

Anyways, I just have the little rubber wire plug with two pins hanging out by the plate - it wasn't connected when I got the boat, and I'm starting to see why.

If I set my meter to resistance, I should be able to raise/lower the drive and watch the number change, right? NOTHING changed at all, which struck me as rather odd since the sender should be doing something even if it's random/choppy, etc.

In the original configuration, that plug goes to a harness where one pin is grounded and the other goes to the trim gauge right?

It's more of a bummer for me because a) they don't make the part anymore, at all (except a Volvo cross-reference to OMC but it's $200!!!) and b) because I only owned jet boats before, so these are my first couple times out on the water with an I/O and I really don't have a sense of where the drive is trimmed by "feel" yet. I can sense the load and trim up to eliminate it but I'm just not sure how far I'm actually trimming up or how much more I can go. :confused:

Anyways it's not an OMC post, more of a diagnosis thing on how the trim sending units work and how to check it. I wonder if I can just take it apart and clean the windings or something. :cool: