"Throttle Only" button hard to push. Quicksilver. 1985 Sea Ray.

wilyesteve

Seaman Apprentice
As the title says, it's hard to push the throttle only button on my quicksilver remote.... I have to smash it with the palm of my hand, and it doesn't always depress even with that brute assault.

Is this repairable? I have popped the button off and shot WD-40 behind it, but no improvement. Take the assembly apart and grease it? Or would I be wasting my time disassembling it? Do I need a new one?

Thanks in advance.

wilyesteve

Seaman Apprentice
Re: "Throttle Only" button hard to push. Quicksilver. 1985 Sea Ray.

bump?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

need to see at picture at the very least due to the many types of controlers around.

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

This may sound silly, but have you tried pushing in the button while jiggling the throttle handle back-and-forth?

I think that button can only be pushed in while the throttle/shift lever's in neutral, and it may be a bit touchy.

My Johnson 175HP outboard is like that.

Kinda like with a car, sometimes you can't turn or remove the key without jiggling the steering wheel, to take the pressure off the key.

wilyesteve

Seaman Apprentice

Stole this pic from an ad off ebay...

$(KGrHqZHJD!E90n0wDZqBPnte)jGTQ~~60_58.JPG

JDLOUGH - will try that. Though I would like it to be readily available in an emergency situation....

JustChecking - nice writeup. How long did that take you? I have the SELOC manual, and yes, it does look daunting as hell...

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I had the 3000 once and if you pulled the lever to the rear most part of the N "slot" and then push it would work. I never did like it preferring the 2000 with the lift lever for fast idle so I just replaced it. I realize that your Sea Ray and my fishing boat are two different critters so I doubt that replacing it is an option. Hopefully the "$8 plastic part" will fix yours too.

Mark

carguy001

Seaman

I have 1984 Celebrity with the same controller that is pictured and fought the same issue all last year would have slam it with the palm of my hand so bad i would bruise my hand. So I tore mine apart to see about fixing it and found that two things had wore 1) there is a red plastic piece with a couple of holes in it, one hole is for a ball bearing that pushes out to disengage a dowl pin, what was happening was the red plastic piece would push back with when the button was pushed, causing the ball bearing to hang up on the edge of the metal housing that the red piece slides into. 2) the metal piece that pushes the ball bearing out had a divid wore into the leading edge causing the ball bearing to " lock" in the worn divid.

since i am a machinist by trade i have access to a full machine shop to make the below items.

so what i have done is re made the red plastic out of a piece of delrin and filed the divid out of the metal piece so it had a nice crisp transition. so far it has worked in the garage it is a little tight when you first push the button but works much better.

you might try just taking it apart and cleaning all the items in that center shaft and re-lube everything.

wilyesteve

Seaman Apprentice

Well today the throttle only button decided to stop working completely.... I had to disconnect the throttle linkage at the carb and fast-idle it by hand to warm it up.... Debating whether to take this thing apart or just replace it....

What is a replacement controller for this? I hear Teleflex makes some? Also, what model do I have, as seen in the pic above? Quicksilver 3000?

carguy001

Seaman

i went a head and bought on new kit to fix the button issue it was $9.77 searay of cincinnati had 3 in stock their ph#(513) 871-5555 and the part # 817253A1.

wilyesteve

Seaman Apprentice

For $10 its worth a shot. Thanks carguy. Gonna visit my local Sea Ray dealer tomorrow.