Adding bow mounted trolling motor for auto pilot

Chas0218

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I would like to add an auto pilot bow mounted trolling motor. I only want to use this for steering my boat while fishing alone or rigging up lines not actually trolling that is what my kicker is for. I was looking at the minnkota Terrova. Anyone have any other suggestions?

My other problem is the height of my bow and if it would work. I have a Pro-Line 23' W/A and when out of the water the bow is 5' from the rub rail to the bottom of the V. The longest shaft available is 60".

Thanks,
Chas

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Adding bow mounted trolling motor for auto pilot

You're on the right track with what you want to do but you don't need the Terrova to do it. The PowerDrive V2 with iPilot is the better choice. I run one in place of a kicker because I can troll at 2.5mph on my main motor with SmartCraft "Troll Control". Keeping it going in a straight line is the problem and the bow mount is the answer.

The standard AutoPilot uses a magnetic compass and is suceptable to interferrence from all sorts of stuff. You can be going along all fat and happy and then all the sudden you're doing a U turn. The iPilot system uses GPS and lays down a track which it then follows. It also has a very cool hold feature that acts like an anchor and keeps you within 5 ft off where you were when you pushed the button. There's a ton of other stuff it does too but those and the co-pilot wireless hand held remote for steering are where it shines.

A 60" shaft should cover the distance between the deck and the water + 12-18 inches of submersion. You can check it with a broom stick then next time you're out on the water. I run a 60" on my boat and I have just about the same distance to my keel as you do. But don't take my situation and use it as a unchecked comparison. You need to check it with the boat in the water.

Chas0218

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Adding bow mounted trolling motor for auto pilot

You're on the right track with what you want to do but you don't need the Terrova to do it. The PowerDrive V2 with iPilot is the better choice. I run one in place of a kicker because I can troll at 2.5mph on my main motor with SmartCraft "Troll Control". Keeping it going in a straight line is the problem and the bow mount is the answer.

The standard AutoPilot uses a magnetic compass and is suceptable to interferrence from all sorts of stuff. You can be going along all fat and happy and then all the sudden you're doing a U turn. The iPilot system uses GPS and lays down a track which it then follows. It also has a very cool hold feature that acts like an anchor and keeps you within 5 ft off where you were when you pushed the button. There's a ton of other stuff it does too but those and the co-pilot wireless hand held remote for steering are where it shines.

A 60" shaft should cover the distance between the deck and the water + 12-18 inches of submersion. You can check it with a broom stick then next time you're out on the water. I run a 60" on my boat and I have just about the same distance to my keel as you do. But don't take my situation and use it as a unchecked comparison. You need to check it with the boat in the water.

I would definitely check it before dropping 1k + haha. I can troll slow enough using my big motor but it costs a lot more in fuel than my little 8hp. I have looked around and it seems like the I pilot is much better for the money. Being able to mount the foot control next to my seat is nice too.

I forgot to ask, how much does your boat weigh and what lb thrust are you using?

Thanks,
Chas