Volvo Penta out drive damage duo prop

rapala_07

Recruit
Last August while going about 2000 rpm I picked up a submerged tree limb between the prop closest to the stern. The limb was about 5 foot long and that wedged in behind kicker motor. It got jambed in. The out drive came up past the tilt and stopped the boat dead in the water. It cracked the prop and the trim cylinders started leaking. The prop was also spun ( the larger Prop), also seal in front of props leaked oil. When they pulled outdrive the seal leaked oil in the boot by the drive shaft. I put a dial intercater and prop shaft was true. Did any body ever have this happen???

Bill

shrew

Lieutenant
Re: Volvo Penta out drive damage duo prop

That is why they invented Prop Hubs, they are like shear pins. You are hardly the first and certainly not the last person to ding a prop. I hit something submerged (In about 100 ft. of water) at speed and it sheared the splines of the gears in my lower unit. These things happen. Sometimes you don't even see it and it doesn't always happen in skinny water. I never did find out what i hit. I suspect it was a log floating underwater.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That why you have insurance, or should have. I've seen complete outdrives ripped off in 1000 ft. of water

Boobie Trap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is also another reason for aluminum props. The blade shears off. I had numerous props repaired and looked like new after tearing off a blade.
This guy said that as long as there is at least 1/2 inch of the blade root left, he could rebuild and balance it. Looks like new and one heck of a lot cheaper than tearing up the out drive.
Are aluminum pros as good as SS ones? Depends on who you talk to and how they use their boat.

Just my $.02 worth!