Water holding tank, Speedo stuck, and binimi questions

upfront719

Recruit
I just bought a 2000 Rinker Captiva 272. Love it, but I have a couple questions. Hopefully, they can be easily addressed:

1. The water holding tank has antifreeze in the lines and tank. I obviously need to drain it. How does this work???? I see the pump, but there is no on/off switch by the pump or the dash? Am I missing something or just being an idiot?
2. I took the boat for a test drive and the speedo gauge locked up at 40mph. Is there a quick fix to get this working?
3. The boat came with a nice bimini top. Do you guys tow your boat with this up? The one complaint about the Rinker is there is no storage for the Bimini.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Ryan

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water holding tank, Speedo stuck, and binimi questions

1. The water holding tank has antifreeze in the lines and tank. I obviously need to drain it. How does this work???? I see the pump, but there is no on/off switch by the pump or the dash? Am I missing something or just being an idiot?
Switch would usually be in the galley area. I don't know the boat, but maybe under the sink?

2. I took the boat for a test drive and the speedo gauge locked up at 40mph. Is there a quick fix to get this working?
Define "locked up". Did you run her up to that speed and the gauge never returned to zero?

3. The boat came with a nice bimini top. Do you guys tow your boat with this up? The one complaint about the Rinker is there is no storage for the Bimini.
Define up. Deployed? Stowed in a "boot" but up?

Welcome aboard!!

upfront719

Recruit

Thanks for the quick response.

Yes the speedo went up to 40 and stayed there. Never returned to zero.

As for the bimini top I'm referring to have it propped up, but in a boot or cover. I've seen others tow a boat like this, but I've always questioned if it will stay up or come crashing down??? :)

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

I tow with my bimini in a boot propped up off the deck. The only issue I've run into is the buffeting wind works the zipper loose (only sometimes?) a simple bungie cord or rope tied-off stops that...make sure all your fittings are tight/snug (forgot the wife was towing back and lost one of the support rods, replaced with metal (not the nylon) fittings)

As QC has stated, you should have a switch in the galley and should be a demand type pump (only goes on when pressure drops to a predetermined amount), should be the pump for all the fresh water throughout (head, galley faucet, etc...)

cr2k

Captain

If it's not an electronic speedo you can check the pitot pick up for blockage (that little plastic fin like thing with the hose on it on the transom) and/or pull the tube off the back of the speedo on the dash and stick an air hoes to it to black flush the line.

shrew

Lieutenant

I just bought a 2000 Rinker Captiva 272.

a. Make sure the battery switch is ON, and the batteries have a charge.
b. You more than likely have a switch for the pump in the galley somewhere. Commonly it's a red, lit switch. (If you find one in the head that is more than likely for the shower sump.
c. If you can't find a switch, then open one of the valves on any faucet and see if the water turns on. It will come out pink.
d. run the faucets until the water tank is empty.
e. fill the water tank with freshwater.
f. run the faucets until the water tank is empty.
g. make sure to do both hot and cold and all faucets (galley, head, transom shower, etc).

Once the water is flowing clean you should be good. Of course, I do 1-2 more cycles, but that is me.

Maybe, but they are inaccurate and prone to failure. GPS is far more accurate. I wouldn't look at it.

I would wrap it in a boot and lay it down, then tie it down, but that is me. I guess it depends on how much you tow and how far you travel.

rfdfirecaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class

1. The water holding tank has antifreeze in the lines and tank.

Did you purchase the boat from someone you know well. You don't want to assume and take a chance on this. If you aren't absolutely positive that the "antifreeze" in your water system was designed for potable water systems, you better be very cautious, or you can become seriously ill. I've never seen any color other than REDDISH-PINK for potable antifreeze, but automotive antifreeze colors are GREEN, ORANGE, RED, PURPLE, YELLOW and yes PINK. Automotive antifreeze contains ethylene glycol which is a colorless, odorless, sweet-tasting chemical. As little as 4 fluid ounces) is enough to kill a 175 pound man. Just be sure you know what kind of antifreeze is in there and if you aren't positive be sure you FLUSH that system extremely well, especially the holding tank where it's hardest to get every drop out. And when you think you're done flush it some more.

Last edited by a moderator:

upfront719

Recruit

Thanks for the feedback guys. Good info!

I'm nervous about the antifreeze deal as well. I'll be sure to drain it good. If I'm not comfortable I'll just buy a new one.

Getting boat back from Stereo install shop today. I'll be checking for the pump switch. I just have the small wet bar, so I'm not sure how to get under the sink??? I do recall two switches near the plug for the "ship to shore" line, but I'm not sure what those are for. Time to purchase a manual :)

UncleWillie

Captain

... I took the boat for a test drive and the speedo gauge locked up at 40mph. Is there a quick fix to get this working? ...

...Maybe, but they are inaccurate and prone to failure. GPS is far more accurate. I wouldn't look at it...

The Spedometer uses the pressure of the water against the Pitot tube tube to measure the speed of the boat.
The Spedometer gauge is actually a simple pressure gauge with the face calibrated in speed instead of pressure.
If the Hose from the transom to the dash is blocked the line may pressurize and then not release the pressure when stopped.
If this hose comes off, or cracks, or breaks, or otherwise leaks, you will see water being pumped into the boat from places that you would never expect to see water coming out of.

You have a known problem with an item on the boat. Either fix it, or remove it entirely!
Ignoring the problem will not make it go away.
It will not fix itself, and will only get worse, and once Murphy gets involved ..... :rolleyes:

Thalasso

Commander

Did you purchase the boat from someone you know well. You don't want to assume and take a chance on this. If you aren't absolutely positive that the "antifreeze" in your water system was designed for potable water systems, you better be very cautious, or you can become seriously ill. I've never seen any color other than REDDISH-PINK for potable antifreeze, but automotive antifreeze colors are GREEN, ORANGE, RED, PURPLE, YELLOW and yes PINK. Automotive antifreeze contains ethylene glycol which is a colorless, odorless, sweet-tasting chemical. As little as 4 fluid ounces) is enough to kill a 175 pound man. Just be sure you know what kind of antifreeze is in there and if you aren't positive be sure you FLUSH that system extremely well, especially the holding tank where it's hardest to get every drop out. And when you think you're done flush it some more.

When you find the switch and empty the tank, put more fresh water in and pump out. Fill tank with water and add clorox bleach and turn all water spigots on. let run a minute or two to get clorox in the lines. Let set for a couple of hours and turn all spigots on and empty tank.This will sanitize your system. When you refill always add a tablespoon of clorox. This will keep your water safe. I don't drink mine but do use it for showers and washing dishes.

shrew

Lieutenant

It should be Propylene Glycol. The Pink colored stuff is used for water lines. If the waterlines and water is Pink, it's perfectly fine. Purple is also propylene glycol as well and has a lower freezing temp., though I only use that on the engine. Supposedly the purple has more anticorrosives in it. I would be surprised if someone used automotive anitfreeze for a radiator. You shouldn't use automotive A/F.

UncleWillie

Captain

... I've never seen any color other than REDDISH-PINK for potable antifreeze, but automotive antifreeze colors are GREEN, ORANGE, RED, PURPLE, YELLOW and yes PINK. Automotive antifreeze contains ethylene glycol which is a colorless, odorless, sweet-tasting chemical. As little as 4 fluid ounces) is enough to kill a 175 pound man. Just be sure you know what kind of antifreeze is in there and if you aren't positive be sure you FLUSH that system extremely well, especially the holding tank where it's hardest to get every drop out. And when you think you're done flush it some more.

RV Antifreeze, The correct stuff, is Propylene Glycol (PG), the FDA lists it as "Generally Considered as Safe", meaning you would have to drink a couple of liters of 100% PG to have any issues with it.

It is a major ingredient in Cough Syrup and is what gives it that "Unique" flavor.
Wet your finger with the holding tank water and touch it to you tongue.
One drop of Auto Antifreeze, Ethylene Glycol (EG), will not effect you.

If it is pink and tastes really nasty, like "Nyquil", it is PG. (Good!)
If it is pleasant tasting and sweet , BAD! Automotive EG, destroys Livers!

Rinse the tank until all trace of color and flavor is gone.
If it was EG, rinse it a few more times.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer

I don't have a fresh water tank in my boat but I agree 100% with Thalasso. Bleaching or sanitizing your water system is a common annual or bi-annual practice in the RV world, especially when bringing out of winter storage and getting the antifreeze out.
My RV manual goes something like this: Pump out the antifreeze, fill the tank with fresh water and regular unscented household chlorine bleach. The mix ratio is 1 cup bleach to 40 gallons of water. My tank is 34 gallons, , she's getting a cup of bleach. Open all the faucets to get the bleach solution in the lines and shut off, top off tank. Let sit for 4 hrs. Now totally drain system of bleach solution, refill with fresh water and run all the faucets. Refill the tank twice and drain.
Like I said, that is right out of my RV's manual.
Incidentally, there is a product made to pour into your water tanke during the season to keep it sanitzed and fresh. I think it's calle Aqua Pure, , not totally sure. If your marina doesn't have it your local RV dealer sure would. Basically it's a diluted bleach. I drink out of my fresh water tank all the time with no problem. In my RV. . . .