Old Steering system

Noosa1234

Cadet
G'day All,

I have an old 74 Glastron GT 160 and need to replace old steering with ball joint at motor end and this system is not available anymore and would like to know best system to install.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Old Steering system

I'm thinking you have the splashwell mount with the plate bolted to the side of the well. You can re-use the plate and ball if it is still good or you can replace with a complete Teleflex helm and cable. Rack and pinion or rotary--your choice. Small boat like that does not need no feedback system unless you are getting speeds over 60. You will also need the bent stainless steering link from cable to engine.

If your engine does not have tilt tube steering capability, you will need to by a transom mount.

Noosa1234

Cadet

I'm thinking you have the splashwell mount with the plate bolted to the side of the well. You can re-use the plate and ball if it is still good or you can replace with a complete Teleflex helm and cable. Rack and pinion or rotary--your choice. Small boat like that does not need no feedback system unless you are getting speeds over 60. You will also need the bent stainless steering link from cable to engine.

If your engine does not have tilt tube steering capability, you will need to by a transom mount.

Thanks for your reply Frank, l have add some pics to see if you can tell me the best for engine mount steering issue l am having. I would think rotary would be best due to space under dash.

Attachments

• WP_001159.jpg
    WP_001159.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 0
  • WP_001158.jpg
    WP_001158.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You've got a steering tube which is great. A standard new system will mate up to that just fine. I've installed both a brand new rack and a new rotary system in my last two boats and found the rotary to have just a bit less slop. You should be able to find a complete new Uflex rotary system for around $120. You may need to source a steering link bar for your motor. Ebay is a good source: http://www.inkbox.net/whaler/parts/steering-arm.jpg

Noosa1234

Cadet

Thanks ezmobee.

My only concern is the length of cable l should purchase as old one says 3.45 Metres and not sure what length to purchase. Other issue l have come across is the splashwall mount is further up and not inline with steering arm on motor. Will l be presented with problem there?

Thanks Again for all assistance as very new to this and these forums are very helpful.

Noosa1234

Cadet

You don't need a mount in the splashwell with a modern system going into a steering tube.

Sounds like you need a 12' system. Double check using this method http://www.iboats.com/basics/measure_steering_cables.html

I have done the measuring and came up with 13.5 feet. I am looking at using a clevis kit now and was wondering if that would be best as it is all coming done to monies now. Its not called the GoldFinger for looks!!!!

Thanks again