Dumb Anchor Line Question

rt_hawley

Seaman
I recently bought a new Minn Kota Deckhand electric anchor winch with remote. Have it all wired in and works great with the switch mounted at the helm, so very handy to have. The winch came "pre-loaded" with 100ft of "800lb test" braided line. The winch recommends a max anchor weight of 40lbs and I'm well below that (I have a Digger anchor). My question is this; the dry weight of my boat is almost 1800 lbs. Add in the motor and a full load of gas, I'm easily over 2000lbs full up weight. So I'm thinking to myself...if the anchor line is only 800lb test, it probably wouldn't take a whole heck of a lot of wind, or heavy current, or combination of both, to break the line, right?? In addition, the Digger anchor warns NOT to use chain since it will have an adverse affect on the operation of the break away flukes (they will drop totally vertical to let muck from the bottom slide off). Should I be looking at probably re-spooling the anchor winch with a much heavier line? As it is, the 100ft of 800lb test line pretty much fills the spool. So, do I leave things the way they are, or go with a heavier (but shorter) line? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Rob

AviatorJim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Dumb Anchor Line Question

The 800 lb test will be fine. You won't be using the anchor line to hang your boat from, so you are really concerned with how hard the wind or current can push on your boat, and if it is anywhere close to 800 lbs of force on a 2000lb boat, you shouldn't be out in it. And your anchor will probably slip before you get close to 800 lbs.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

I second that. Things don't weigh nearly as much in water as they do on land, sort of. You would have to be in one hell of a storm to exceed 800 lbs on that line. You should be good to go.

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

You're fine as is.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

Hey don't knock it the zombies are comming. You better be prepared. :D

shrew

Lieutenant

If you have 800lbs of force pushing against the boat, you're anchor will more than likely drag long before the line parts. Besides, if you have 800lbs of wind/current force pushing the boat, you have bigger problems than whether the anchor is dragging or the anchor line parted......such as the world coming to an end.