Bought boat in Wisconsin - live in illinois

treboo80

Recruit
Question to people who bought boat in Wisconsin and do move paper work to Illinois, boat i bought
is registered in Wisconsin and has registration sticker good till 2015, do i have to register it to my name
in Illinois right away or i can wait till 2015 ?? and what about trailer in Wisconsin they do not need
license plate on trailers, i could register that trailer to my name and put plates on it, but how it will look
boat registered in WI and trailer in IL ??

thanks

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bought boat in Wisconsin - live in illinois

Welcome to iboats treboo80.

I have sold several boats and trailers to flatlanders :)

If you keep the boat in IL, and use the boat in IL, you need to register the boat in your name, in IL.
And you need to register the trailer in your name.

Il is really strict about this stuff.

I hope you bought a boat that came with a title, not just registration, or you are in for an adventure. Not all boats in WI need to be titled, but the seller CAN get one in his name, and sign it over to you.

Also hope you have a title for the trailer, or a Manufacturers Certificate of Origin. This is issued when the trailer is produced, and is used to obtain a title for the first owner. Without a title or MCOO, you will have a heck of a time getting paperwork for the trailer.

On top of that, you will need to deal with 3 different agencies in IL, and it will take a few months to get all the paperwork.

Sorry for the discouraging news.

If you keep the rig in WI, you can register it in WI.

tpenfield

Staff member

boat i bought
is registered in Wisconsin and has registration sticker good till 2015, do i have to register it to my name
in Illinois right away or i can wait till 2015 ??
thanks

Is the WI registration that of the previous owner? . . . and is your question can you run off the previous owners registration until 2015? (would be 'no' in that case)

You should have asked for/received title to both boat and trailer in WI.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

Jeez.. sounds like it would be easier to just move to WI. When I titled my formerly WI boat in MN I went to the DMV and acted very nice and very naive. I couldn't find any identifying info on the trailer so I registered it as a home built trailer at their "advice". Since WI trailers aren't titled I'm sure they've dealt with that before. It may take you a couple trips to the DMV where you just ask questions and act sorta dumb before you can come up with a full plan of attack.

oldjeep

Admiral

In WI it depends on the trailer capacity. You don't even need to register them if they are 3K or under, so we've got no registration for our snowmobile or jetski trailers. The pontoon trailer does have a registration (the stuff we leave in WI).

A title and registration is required for trailers operated over 3,000 pounds. A title and registration is not required for trailers operated at or less than 3,000 pounds gross weight unless used for hire or rental. Title and registration is encouraged for these vehicles that will be used on roads outside the state of Wisconsin, as other states' registration laws may be different.
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/vehicles/title/mobile-home.htm

As far as the boat goes, any boat in WI over 16ft has to be titled

treboo80

Recruit

I'm lucky buyer to have all titles receipts and lots of papers coming with boat, at least long
registration process should go without any complication only time issue,

treboo80

Recruit

how it works with tax i bought Tracker v-16 with 90HP Mercury, for example for $7000 - private owner, do i have to show on tax papers that i paid $6000 (i have hand made on paper contract between me and previous owner) or real market price of it, for example $11000

oldjeep

Admiral

how it works with tax i bought Tracker v-16 with 90HP Mercury, for example for $7000 - private owner, do i have to show on tax papers that i paid $6000 (i have hand made on paper contract between me and previous owner) or real market price of it, for example $11000

Best bet is to start reading:
http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/recreation/boating/Pages/Information.aspx
http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/recreation/boating/Pages/TaxRequirementonWatercraft.aspx
http://tax.illinois.gov/taxforms/Sales/VehicleUseTax/RUT-75-Instr.pdf

Line 1: Tax is based on the purchase price or fair market value amount.
Attach a copy of the purchase agreement/invoice which must have
the purchase price and the tax previously paid clearly and separately
stated.

treboo80

Recruit

Best bet is to start reading:
http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/recreation/boating/Pages/Information.aspx
http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/recreation/boating/Pages/TaxRequirementonWatercraft.aspx
http://tax.illinois.gov/taxforms/Sales/VehicleUseTax/RUT-75-Instr.pdf

Line 1: Tax is based on the purchase price or fair market value amount.
Attach a copy of the purchase agreement/invoice which must have
the purchase price and the tax previously paid clearly and separately
stated.

i'm scarred of that tax payment, sick of illinois and all this taxes in here

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

After you pay taxes and file all your forms, be prepared to wait for registration stickers, etc. Illinois takes forever to send those out.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

I'm not sure how the tax thing works in il but here in Wisconsin when you put the title in your name you have to put the purchase price on the title and you pay the tax along with the fee to get a new title. I would imagine it would be similar in il.

raven7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

In Illinois, you'll have to pay sales tax ( 6.25% )on the purchase price to the Il. Dept. of Revenue before they'll process any registration paperwork. Takes a about a month to get boat stickers. The IRS told me that if the OB came on the boat, I had to include that in the purchase price. Not fair being we don't register outboards in Illinois like some states do.

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The best way to deal with these issues in Illinois is to go to the currency exchange...They are generally knowledgeable and helpful in dealing with all three agencies...Ones stop shopping for a small fee. They can issue you temporary plates for a trailer, don't know about a boat. Sometimes they know what questions not to ask;-)

tpenfield

Staff member

This is an old thread, so probably best not to post to it, and start a new thread as needed.