Gobee remote controlled stanchion bow light, very cool!

Expidia

Commander
just bought and received this removable "wireless" remote controlled bow light. So far, very sweet. Some previous reviews I've read said you have to rewire it for 3 prong sockets. Seems now you just flip a built in switch for 2 prong sockets.
I plugged it into the bow socket and it works fine.
Instructions say depending on your wiring you might need to upgrade your circuit breaker to 7 amp. So far what ever mine is its working ok. But if not 7 amps I'll upgrade it.
Other posts say one might want to use a separate receptacle but this model comes with a red/green nav light below the flood light.

Maybe a separate receptacle would be good if you want to run heavier wiring directly or your wiring may get hot and melt, but so far so good. I'll check under the dash to make sure wiring is not running hot.
Gobee makes a big line of search lights for marine use and it appears to be of a decent build quality.

One thing I did read on some reviews and I did right away was to remove the base's 4 screws and I cutdown the mounting pole by 4 inches as it was like 12 inches high stock which since it's top heavy cutting it down with a conduit cutter makes the unit less wobbly. The inside connections were just push on blades and I only had to drill one new hole in the pole to reuse the screw that holds pole in the units head. Since I left the wires in the lower tube. I did not want to remove the base socket so I cut from the top end of the pole and not the base end. Using a conduit cutter does not harm the wires insulation like a hack saw could. You just have to disconnect a connection under the head which has a piece of shrink wrap on it. I just used another shrink wrap piece when re-assembling (you could use black electrical tape too) unclipping the 3 connections frees the tube from the head.

Note: if your rig has a bow mounted electric trolling motor you may not want to cut the OEM Gobee pole down. Or make sure you only cut so the built in nav lights clears your troller mount.

I also just ordered a Perko receptacle replacement for $20 that has a locking collar which will safeguard the unit from popping out in rough waters.

Unit should also work out nicely when I'm driving up to the trailer in the dark!

Iboats sell the same model too : http://www.iboats.com/Golight-Gobee...4142812--session_id.577178477--view_id.670280

Finished product:
1334512421.jpg

1334512437.jpg