Recommend a cooler for custom cooler seat/bench

canuckjgc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am changing the seating in my 17ft aluminum side console from 4 chairs on pedastals to 2 chairs (captain/passenger) and 2 coolers with bench seats along the sides of the boat. The commercial ones are way too pricey so I found a custom shop that can make a bench seat for the cooler with a folding backrest for a fraction of the cost of a Wise seat (and in any color I want).

Any advantage to "marine" coolers over any other? I need a sturdy cooler to attach these bench seats to. Also, any trick to mounting the cooler so it doesn't move around, but can be removed when not needed?

I think this setup will work better, as it frees up space in the center of the boat, and the coolers can come out when only 2 people fishing.

Thanks!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Recommend a cooler for custom cooler seat/bench

they make small brackets that screw into the floor to keep coolers from getting rowdy in the boat.

I can't imagine what makes a cooler "marine" except price. The few screws it has should be SS, if not, replace them.

There are, however, coolers of better quality than others, especially in the amount of insulation. Can't speak to your needs ni that regard.

Skeeterbait

Cadet

Yeti coolers bar none, if you can swing the cost. You will never have to buy another one. They have matched accessories you will need, stainless tiedown systems, seat cushons, etc.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I can't imagine what makes a cooler "marine" except price. The few screws it has should be SS, if not, replace them.

They are white, so they don't fade in the sun. Manufacturers claim they have some sort of UV additive in their construction... Who knows. Who cares really, its a cooler.

Besides that, a good "marine" cooler has extra insulation because in will be out in the sun and temps, etc. But how thats different from just any old quality cooler, beats me.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

They are white, so they don't fade in the sun. Manufacturers claim they have some sort of UV additive in their construction... Who knows. Who cares really, its a cooler.

Besides that, a good "marine" cooler has extra insulation because in will be out in the sun and temps, etc. But how thats different from just any old quality cooler, beats me.

Sadly coolers have fallen into the same category as most everything else. There's cheap and there's expensive, and in my experience nothing in the middle. If you're looking for some that can be sat on for years (read sturdy) you'll likely regret anything but a Yeti, Engel, Canyon, or perhaps Moeller. I know there are other marine coolers on the market, but the ones that are rotomolded (same way kayaks are built) just hold up better and last years longer than anything else. Also, speaking of sun exposure, it's the number one killer of coolers from fifty to five hundred bucks, so be sure to keep yours out of the sun whether it's a Yeti or a Coleman. How do you plan to attach your seats, canuck?

fishrdan

Admiral

What ever cooler you get, make sure it's white as the dark colored coolers get hotter and will burn up your ice. High quality "marine" coolers have a gasketed lid to keep air from blowing into the cooler. Air blowing (while running on plane or wind) into a standard cooler's non-gasketed lid will also burn up your ice. If I need to keep the cooler cold and sealed up, I run 2" painters tape around the lid seam. This doesn't work if you are in-out of the cooler though..... The hinges on standard coolers are carp too, I always buy a couple metal hinges and screw them in along side the plastic hinges. I also buy some metal chain for the lid support and get rid of the cheap plastic strip that eventually breaks. (With all that work, I guess I should just buy a Yeti...:facepalm:)

I'm not sure I like the cooler deck cleats as this is something that you could trip over when the cooler is gone. If the cooler is always there, then they are a great idea.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Oh no! I took my red Igloo on the boat last year!

I catch a lot of grief from my friends and relations because I have about 20 coolers, last count. Drives my father in law crazy but he is not an outdoorsman. I just have a high-cooler lifestyle; in addition to boating and yard parties, I spend time on an island where we have to transport several days worth of food and bev by car and boat. I'll run a couple boats at once and each needs drinks, bait, and fish coolers--best to seperate them. On the boat, I like keeping the food cooler and drink cooler seperate.

Many I pick up on trash day or at yard sales--just got one of the giant Igloo fish coolers ($175 retail) for $5. My better ones have the gaskets you describe (but aren't white). Some you can tell have no insulation to speak of, and the swing-tops obviously aren't insulated on top (I put newspaper on top, inside). I recently looked at the "2 day cooler" and it just has double insulation, and therefore less interior room.

I like picking up the old ones b/c I feel like they are better made, better insulation. If they are in rough shape, all the better for rough use or stanky contents.

Thalasso

Commander

they make small brackets that screw into the floor to keep coolers from getting rowdy in the boat.

There are, however, coolers of better quality than others, especially in the amount of insulation. Can't speak to your needs ni that regard.

Marine coolers have more insulation. I have an Igloo that i will put on the swim platform when i take trips, keeps ice for days. The coleman i have, won't. If i was in Florida or one of the southern states, that might be diff.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

OK, I'll ask... Why?:confused:

:D:D

Bait cooler--an old "six-pack" cooler holds a couple boxes of squid, a baggie of shiners or bloodworms, and a frozen water bottle for ice.

Drink cooler-if you don't know, you don't fish. No bananas.

Fish cooler--large cooler with a few ice blocks in it (I freeze 2 liter bottles) to put your fish in--a really old cooler since they get stanky, with legal sizes marked on the top. Top serves as a cutting board, too.

can't mix them.

canuckjgc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks! Great recommendations here. As far as attaching the seat, I'm not sure. My first thought is industrial strength velcro to avoid drilling the lid of the cooler. Wow those Yeti's are pricey - have to think long and hard on those.

fishrdan

Admiral

can't mix them.

Oh, I know, I was just joking.

(But have mixed them before, beer cooler turned into the fish cooler, after a lot of the beer cooler was emptied. That was long ago...)

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

So the longer side of the coolers will be snugged up against the sides? If so, maybe install a couple of stainless pad eyes or D-rings low on the sides, down near the deck. Space them apart a couple of inches wider than the cooler. (If you can’t install the pad eyes on the sides without drilling all the way thru to the outside of the boat, then install them on the deck right next to where it meets the hull.)
Igloo coolers and some others have a tie-down hole up near the handle. Use straps with hooks to snug the cooler up real tight to the pad eye/D-rings.

Pad eye http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Bimini-T...egory.f--session_id.919409627--view_id.257624

If the cooler still slides a bit, you can use one of those 4 corner mounting kits that Home Cookin mentioned, but instead of using all 4 corners, just install the 2 corners closest to the gunwale, and use the straps described above. Just 2 corners will keep it from shifting, and won’t be in the way TOO much next to the gunwales. Also, if you have a fiberglass deck, don’t screw them into the deck. Just glue them to the deck with 3M 5200.

Mount kit http://www.iboats.com/Igloo-Cooler-...0174627--session_id.837930820--view_id.259655

If you don't like that idea, maybe this KENNEDY PRODUCTIONS Tie Down Kit

http://www.kennedytiedown.com/gallery1.htm#coolerkit

fishrdan

Admiral

If the cooler still slides a bit

I used some non-slip kitchen drawer/tool cabinet liner to keep things from sliding on the deck of my boat. Covered a thin/rigid piece of plastic, top and bottom, with the liner and now the tackle boxes don't slide around the deck anymore.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Thanks! Great recommendations here. As far as attaching the seat, I'm not sure. My first thought is industrial strength velcro to avoid drilling the lid of the cooler. Wow those Yeti's are pricey - have to think long and hard on those.

Yes, you're right cancuck. The Yetis and their ilk are not cheap. I finally swallowed hard and bought one. It weren't easy:eek:, but in my case it made sense. Only you can say for sure, but I do think you'd be really happy with a couple of those Canyon 55s. The price isn't quite so obnoxious, they're the perfect size for your application, and they'll outlast cheaper coolers by many many years thereby paying for themselves pretty quickly, especially if you're talking about something that will be sat and stood on for years to come. Some of the old timers will tell you Igloo Marine coolers are just as good, but they're not. Many guys are still using the ones they bought a long time ago, but they don't make them like that any more. Buy nice or buy twice.

canuckjgc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I hear you, just have to get over the sticker shock for a cooler. This is my second boat now and I still get sticker shock over everything marine.

Thanks for the mounting tips folks, the strap idea is great. Any other thoughts on mounting the seat to the cooler? I've seen some tough velcro, may try that. Especially if I buy a Yeti, don't want to drill that cooler!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have been using cushion topped Igloo Marine coolers for over 30 years. Secured in position with cleats and held down with elastic yokes. Never had a problem. I still have three of them but "Manage Attachments" has quit on me.:mad:

EDIT: Toneeees fixed it for me. :)

Console from aft.JPGStarboard view.jpg

lncoop

Vice Admiral

JB, you are one of the old timers of whom I was thinking (with all deference and affection of course). I've been having the same problem with images, but I found I can use the insert image function. Just left click the fourth button from the right and I bet it will work for you as well.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

that's why I buy my collers (and most everything else) at yard sales, salvage and antique stores--better quality.

Just got two beautiful Penn reels, 1960 vintage, a 209M (with box!) and Peerless 09 for $20. Total.