rod holder install

twopugsforme

Cadet
Just bought a 2012 crestliner fish hawk 1650. was wanting some suggestions on how to mount rod holders, brands ,styles ect.. Dont really want to drill any holes if i dont have to, allthough this is probably not reallity. Any pics of suggestions would also be helpfull. Possibly a board acroos the back? thanks in advance

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: rod holder install

What type of rod holders are you planning to install, what type of fishing are you doing?

I have 8 bases installed down the gunwales of my Superhawk 1800, so we can place the rod holder where they are needed. I'm using DriftMaster hod holders that have proven to be very strong, where I (or fish) have broken plastic/composite rod holders before. The only down side to the Driftmasters is they use a threaded bolt for attachment and right hand thread rod holder on the port side will loosen when a big fish hits while trolling,,, unless you nut the rod holder from the bottom. I have access to the underside of my gunwales and nut the port side rod holders from the underside. They also have left hand threaded rod holders to solve the problem on the port side loosening.

There are other brands available, but I liked the Driftmasters the best as they leave little attached to the boat when the rod holder is removed. Here's a pic of how I have the bases mounted, I'm using one of them to anchor the back of my bimini...

dscf3267.jpg

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

If you want an array of holders across the back, then I guess you won't be using that rear pedestal base up on the rear deck.

Get a seat pedestal and seat base.
Get the "board" of your choice (wood, plastic deck material, etc.).
Mount rod holders to top of board.

Voila. Rod holders, no holes in the boat.
Completely removable.

image1143.jpg

image1141.jpg

image1136.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have seen people use c-clamps to use as temporary hook ups.

Not doing it properly will run the risk of having a nice rod/reel combo go swimming............. some of mine are far too much money to have them go swimming.