aluminum boat and saltwater. GOOD OR BAD?? HELP!!

RICHY

Cadet
I USUALY USED MY BOAT IN ALL THE LAKES HERE IN PUERTO RICO. THEN I TRIED INSHORE FISHING FOE TARPON AND SNOOK AND FELL IN LOVE WITH IT.<br />I'M ALSO IN LOVE WITH MY 17 FT LOWE BASS BOAT. MY PRIDE, AFTER MY DAUGHTER ( NOT MY WIFE) HA HA.<br />WELL ,THEY TELL ME IT IS BAD FOR THE BOAT TO USE IT IN SALTWATER.<br />IF IT WERE YOURS, WHAT WOULD YOU DO TO KEEP IT LIKE NEW BESIDES NOT USEING IT? :confused:

Bunnerrabbit

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: aluminum boat and saltwater. GOOD OR BAD?? HELP!!

Hi there thats a big topic around here. I live close to the coast in North Carolina so we have the Inter Coastal Waterway to play in here.(Salt Water). Anyway I dont think its a problem for the boat at all just the trailor and the MOTOR. You will need spray everything off good and FLUSH THE MOTOR REAL GOOD. Other than that I would have fun. Oh I have a 16ft 87 Bass tracker(35hp merc), My buddies have a 17ft 93 bass tracker(40hp Johnson) and the other has a 16ft 2000 DW Lowes boat(50hpJohnson), and we all take them in salt water.

Bunnerrabbit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh the lowes boat is a triple wide not double. I think both bass trackers are double wide but not sure mine might be smaller.

Skinnywater

Commander

Some of the finest Pacific Ocean fishing boats are aluminum.

Fishbusters

Ensign

Used my Al boat all the time in both Salt and fresh and never had a problem. I washed it down and rinsed everything including the motor after a S/W trip. I think the problem you are thinking about results from leaving your boat in the water for an extended period or never washing it off and out when you get home.

driftwood47

Seaman Apprentice

Aluminum boats and salt water-I own an 18' bowrider I/O raw water cooled which I understand is best used in fresh water--but, even though I live in the mountains and a nice lake is about an hour and half away, I will usually tske a four hour run to Norfolk and salt water because I like the feel and smell and taste of salt water. I bought the boat to use not look at. I am careful to flush the engine and hope it will last me a long time. I love my boat but I love the water more.