Windshield defroster?

wcasey5

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought this boat, and when I open the starboard rear seat, I found this. It is connected to 2 hoses that direct air around the engine, then into the box. The vents are in the bow facing portion of the engine bay, you can see the two flexible hoses in the engine picture. There is a smaller 1.5 inch hose that exits the bos and is routed to a vent at the bottom of the windshield. It currently doesn't work, it has an automotive type blower with a disfunctional motor or a wireing problem. My question: Keep it or toss it? This is on a 1988 bayliner capri cuddy, 1950.

6970818419_7527f736e3.jpg

6907322624_58b8e88118.jpg

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Windshield defroster?

My question: Keep it or toss it?
depends on what type of boating ya do. if it is a defroster, then imho...
i'd make try to make it work.
i've had need for one before.
i stay over night on my boat and on high moister days. a defroster would be nice to have. most of the times i would have needed one is in the early AM on humid days. also in the rain if ya boat in the rain. the fog on the windshield is awful. i use whatever towel is around to wipe off the inside. this works ok, but if i had a defroster. that'd be nice.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

TOSS IT!

If you want a defroster or heater then do it right.... blowing bilge air onto the dash is not right..... get a heater core and plumb the cooling water from the engine into it and use an ignition protected bilge blower to move the air.. the automotive blower has NO PLACE being exposed to your bilge fumes...... can you say BOOM?

Bondo

Staff member

TOSS IT!

If you want a defroster or heater then do it right.... blowing bilge air onto the dash is not right..... get a heater core and plumb the cooling water from the engine into it and use an ignition protected bilge blower to move the air.. the automotive blower has NO PLACE being exposed to your bilge fumes...... can you say BOOM?

Ayuh,... Ditto That....

wcasey5

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess it's a good thing it wasn't working. It actually sucks in air from the passenger area, from 2 vents on each side of the engine bay. One of which I circled here.

7053725481_8afa73d2ab.jpg

The idea being the air would be heated by the heat coming off the outside of the engine as it passed through the tubes then into the galvanized box with maxwellhouse coffee can fan housing. And yes, the back part of the blower is in the engine bay.

I like the idea of a defroster, and I think I will toss this one but keep the box and try to plumb a heater core into it, along with a bilge blower. Thanks for all the advice and info.

ziggy

Admiral

I like the idea of a defroster, and I think I will toss this one
i still like the idea. but have to agree w/others. safety first. do it more proper.
this is what i've delt with before.
IMG_4920.jpg

a defroster or heater maybe would be a real good thing to have on these types of days...