Rudder on Ski centurion

jt1989

Cadet
Hey,
I have a rudder question. I replaced the steering cable this week, which helped alot, but I think its time to replace the rudder packing. When I replaced the steering cable, while the cable was disconnected from the rudder, I tried turning the rudder by hand and it turned very hard. The boat is a '84 ski centurion. Can anyone help with how to go about this process?
Thanks

jt1989

Cadet
Re: Rudder on Ski centurion

What do I use for the new packing? Where can I buy it? I think when I pull everything apart it will be common sense on what I need to do but where do I get new packing and do I need to figure out the "thickness" of the packing before I buy it?

Ned L

Commander

I'm not sure I'd jump at replacing the packing. Rudder post packing really sees very little wear (the rudder turns very little compared to the prop shaft, and that packing can last decades). I'm wondering if someone just over-tightened the packing nut way to much. I would first try backing off on the packing nut & working the rudder to see if I can get the rudder to free up, and then adjust it properly.

jt1989

Cadet

I loosened the packing nut, and worked the rudder, and still no help. After pretty much redoing everything in this boat I am pretty sure the previous owner never had this done! I pulled the rudder out and the packing looked bad. Also, the rudder shaft has some scores and corrosion. Should I replace with new rudder? or grease it, repack the nut, and see how she performs?

Ned L

Commander

Unless something is REALLY wrong there should be no reason to replace the rudder due to corrosion- surface corrosion is not a problem. If there is major pitting and corrosion from some bad stray current corrosion or something similar then that could be a problem The scores, unless they are deep shouldn't be a problem either (esp if they are radially around the rudder post). You could take some fine sandpaper and clean off the dirt & corrosion, and maybe any high spots around the scores a bit. As long as the imperfections are in a radial direction around the post (and not axially up & down) they really should not cause a problem (again, unless they are major issues). If you want to post a picture of the rudder post we can take a look.
If the rudder is ok I'd be inclined (as you said ) to clean things up, put it back together and see how it goes. Remember, you need to tighten the packing nut in the water and just enought to stop the leaking. To tight & you can end up with what you have.

jt1989

Cadet

After having to beat the rudder out, I cleaned it up, greased the shaft, repacked the nut, and she turns smooth as butter!!! I will just have to tighten the packing nut when I take it out and it will be good to go! Thanks for the help guys!