28 Marinette Express single 318 advice, comments

ErieRon

Chief Petty Officer
Hi all,

I'm looking at a 1973, 28' Marinette Express Cruiser. It's powered by a single Chrysler 318 inboard. Boat is in excellent shape, motor was rebuilt 6 years ago and has 600 hours on it. My concern, and focus of my inquiry, is whether it is underpowered, and exactly how difficult it is to maneuver (i.e. dock). If anyone has one, I would greatly appreciate a candid answer.

Thank you in advance.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: 28 Marinette Express single 318 advice, comments

There is a member here with that setup. Do some searching. I'll do the same and give you a heads up if I find it.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I haven't owned a 28 Marionett but I have owned 2 ChrisCrafts with single engines and once you get used to it they weren't bad to operate.
Have the owner take you out and see how he handles it.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Here is one of the guys (might be two) that I was thinking about: http://forums.iboats.com/member.php?u=42556

He hasn't posted since November 2010, but you might try PMing him. 1968 Marinette 28 with a 318.

foodfisher

Captain

My only experience with a 318 is love. BULLETPROOF.

ErieRon

Chief Petty Officer

QC, Lakegeorge, and Foodfisher...thank you all very much for your comments.

QC...I'll pm that member for sure and see if I can pick his brain a bit...thanks.

Lakegeorge...good to know, that's pretty much how I felt about it. Unfortunately the owner is a blow-boater. His father passed and he's selling his boat. I plan on sea trialing it, so I'll get a feel myself I suppose. Your comments are reassuring...thanks.

Foodfisher...Excellent, thanks. Had one in a car once, but never a boat. I haven't heard anything bad about them yet...thanks.

Happy boating all.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

I had a slip neighbor who had this model. He was an older gentleman who completely restored it and enjoyed local cruising. He was a life-long boater and always docked the boat efficiently without much effort. He sold it a couple years ago.

My concern, and focus of my inquiry, is whether it is underpowered, and exactly how difficult it is to maneuver (i.e. dock). If anyone has one, I would greatly appreciate a candid answer.
Not underpowered, but it's not going to win any races. Properly tuned, the boat will achieve plane without much effort.

The next owner of the 28 mentioned above had a terrible time controlling it around the docks. Being a lightweight, single-screw boat with significant windage, they got pushed around by the breeze quite easily. He sold it after one season of frustration. Haven't seen the boat since.

Last edited: