mounting bilge pump

jspriddy

Petty Officer 1st Class
My 15.5' Bass America (aluminum) has the bilge pump (Tsunami 500, small pump) mounted on a block of wood. The wood serves no other purpose. While it works fine here, I would like to mount it lower in the bilge, in the same spot removing the wood.

Tsunami instructions say mount it on a "suitable pad" which they describe as "marine plywood fiberglassed to the hull". Now it's obvious why you wouldn't want to screw it to the hull, but could there be some electrical issue here? Ground? It has a direct ground to the battery.

I could easily make an aluminum bracket that would put it almost as low as possible.

Also, is there any reason I couldn't epoxy or glass it directly to the hull?

Thanks,

John

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: mounting bilge pump

The block is so you dont run screws thru your boat. I used an aluminum sheet to fab a bracket to make the pump sit as low in the bilge as possible on my Stingray boat. There is no electrical issues using aluminum brackets, etc.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

you could epoxy the mounting base directly to the hull.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I wouldn't epoxy or glass a bilge pump, makes it a little difficult to replace ... ;)

Ibl0wstuffup

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I did the same thing with a rule pump. 5200'd the base to the bottom of the boat. When the pump died I just bought a new one the same style and reused the base.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Same with Epoxy ^^^^

jspriddy

Petty Officer 1st Class

The block is so you dont run screws thru your boat. I used an aluminum sheet to fab a bracket to make the pump sit as low in the bilge as possible on my Stingray boat. There is no electrical issues using aluminum brackets, etc.

OK. I was going to make an aluminum bracket and run machine screws up from the bottom, if they didn't interfere with the pump mechanism. Your answer is what I thought. I just wanted someone else's opinion. Thanks.

John

jspriddy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks to everyone. I didn't see how this could be an electrical issue since the pump base is plastic, but wanted to be sure.

John

PKomrowski

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The only problem with gluing it is they dont last as long as they cost, but other than that it works fine. I made a small aluminum plate to hold mine and screwed it to a rib.

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

It doesn't really matter much, but I'd use 4200 instead of 5200. If later, you want to install a different brand of pump, 4200 is easier to remove. It's not enough of a difference to worry about, though.

The only concern when doing this is to not use TOO much 4200/5200. You don't want to use so much that it squeezes up through the holes in the base to interfere with the actual pump or pump switch.

You DO need to put enough down there to set the pump level. If you have patience and are concerned, just glue down the BASE ONLY with the 4200/5200 (to make sure nothing oozed up thru the holes) then click in the motor to the base after the base sets up real good.

At any rate, you don't need to make any sort of bracket.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Bass Tracker used to glue them to the hull in the 80's lasted as long as we owned the boat.

jspriddy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, all. I'm looking at gluing down a small piece of pvc plastic (I have some left over from re-framing an exterior door) and screwing the pump to this. That would put it lower than it is now. I think the guy that had the boat before me mounted it up to protect it from water. That would be consistent with other things I've found.

John

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I just bent a piece of aluminum stock and made a bracket:

wDSC_4459sm.jpg

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

a thin piece of plastic is a good way to go.
for a spare pump I carry, so that it is portable, I glued a heavy metal disc to the bottom of the pump to hold it down; I can drop it in anywhere. But it's not as stable as a primary pump.

I wouldn't count on brackets remaining interchangeable. You know how things are these days.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Many, many are glued, epoxied etc. Even from high end boat builders. My 2001 Carrera's pump, $55K if bought new, is epoxied in. Simple, quick and there is no other way to get them lower. And, even if you can't find a new one to slide into an existing bracket, you can always glue down another. Put it under a seat if low enough and you don't even have to see it.

jspriddy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just bent a piece of aluminum stock and made a bracket:

Yeah, I thought of that, but am leaning toward just gluing (epoxy) it in. Tell us the truth, you cleaned that one spot just for the picture, right? Just joking, it's a very sharp boat. You're very close to Lake Hartwell, aren't you? Lucky. Beautiful lake, I was through there a couple of years ago. Very envious of everyone who was lucky enough to live close to that kind of water.

I'm not gonna send a picture of mine-catfish blood and dried remains, leaves...it's strictly a fishing boat.

jspriddy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Many, many are glued, epoxied etc...

Guys, I think this is what I'm going to do. As I said above, this is a fishing boat. Appearance is not an issue, function is. IF it did come loose in an emergency situation, I could always make a run for the shore, and I'm a hell of swimmer, anyway.

John