Fiberform Waikiki 17 ski speed boat info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

treebeard

Recruit
Hi,
I picked this boat up early last summer for $1350 with an 85HP Evinrude with tilt - trim. Ran some Seafoam through it, used some fresh gas (always use premium) and used Marinetex to fix a few dings on the hull and to cover some keel rash. After that I just ran the heck out of it wakeboarding and pulling the kids on the tube here in Oregon on the Columbia (it was hot and calm here late in the summer). I am wanting to put some work into it for this summer including new upholstery, carpet, make a trade to my neighbor for their boat trailer that has bunks, and possibly split the boat and re-paint it (lowest priority). The floor is solid and there are no cracks in the fiberglass. My question is that it seems there are a lot of small speed boats out there for $3500 to $5000 and I am looking for advice on if it is generally worth putting the effort into a boat like this and if this model is of high enough quality to warrant the work. I really like the lines, it is great with the kids, easy to tow and very easy on gas. I also figure that if I have a solid boat that I am happy with that re-powering down the road is no big deal. Any advice is appreciated.

Also, if anyone has additional information on this boat including experience, restoration efforts or pictures I would appreciate the info (I have looked through the boards for info).
Thanks for the help!

FB1.jpg

FB2.jpg

Re: Fiberform Waikiki 17 ski speed boat info?

If a boat's in good condition and you're happy with it then it's worth putting the effort into it to keep it up. If you get into a lot of $$$ to rebuild you're going to lose money (my wife still doesn't know what I've got into my Checkmate !!! ) but if it's a boat that you like.....

used some fresh gas (always use premium)

As far as using premium gas you're wasting money unless it's specified by the engine manufacturer.

NYBo

Admiral

A classic-looking boat!

As far as it being "worth it" to do the repairs, only you can answer that. Be advised that you'll never get the cost back when you sell it.

I'm surprised that an Ent is able to pilot such a boat. They're not very, hmm, bendable!:p

Tregs

Seaman Apprentice

Beautiful boat. I don't know the $3-$5k boats you're seeing will look any better than that one.
If your kids are old enough to help you work on it, take advantage of the opportunity to spend time with them in the garage.

treebeard

Recruit

Thanks for the feedback fellas, and appreciate the advice. I totally agree with you Tregs about getting the rug rats involved, unfortunately they prefer this end of the rope!

fun1.jpg

Tregs

Seaman Apprentice

:D
Ah, I remember those days. We bought our boat when my daughters were 2 and 4. They're now 18 and 20. We still go to the lake at least twice a month where I pull them and their friends around on tubes, skis, and boards of all configurations for hours upon hours. It still puts a smile on my face. They are skilled drivers and can captian the boat on their own, but always want me to go with them. I don't know why, but I certainly don't argue. :)
Enjoy.

Madeen2

Recruit
Longshot and apologies for bringing up this thread from long ago but I'm hoping the Original Poster might still be on this forum. I believe that Fiberform you had/have was my dad's boat once upon a time.

Do you still have this boat?

Attachments

• 1985.07 Lake Como Bonnie, Larry.jpg
    1985.07 Lake Como Bonnie, Larry.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 2
Status
Not open for further replies.