electric hatch lift

torcano

Chief Petty Officer
Is installing an electric hatch lift just a matter of replacing the existing hydraulic arm and replacing it with an electric one?

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: electric hatch lift

Engine hatch lifts usually work from the center of the hatch, whereas the hydraulic struts can be more towards the outside edges. the travel on many of these mechanisms is not that long (12" or 18" something like that). So, the attachment point tends to be closer to the hinge point as well.

Bottom line is that you need to make sure the hatch is strong enough to be lifted from a center point and then engine compartment can also accommodate it. Single engines usually attach to the transom and twin engines usually attach to the center stringer.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I plan a lift for my hatch (was twin I/O) and have been trying to research what I need, but with little luck.

My hatch is about 5.5' x 2.5' (haven't weighed it yet), so I don't know what power I need. Any recommendations on brand, where to look, lifting strength, etc?

I've also been wandering how they attach so you can get into the compartment if the battery is dead.

torcano

Chief Petty Officer

I just looked at the parts manual (online) for the 300 Sundancer and it shows that the hatch lift is placed on top of the center stringer. Lenco makes these lifts in various sizes. It looks like you have to choose the proper length in the open and closed position for it to work properly. I assume all these units must have a way to deal with a power out situation. It looks like the Lenco's can handle 500 lbs. I can't imagine many hatches that weigh more than that. Custumer service at Lenco may have some more information.

tpenfield

Staff member

The power-out situation is 'interesting' to say the least. There is a release pin on my hatch lift, but getting to it is another story. Last year I croaked the batteries on my boat. The hatch goes up a few inches by lifting it manually, but I still could not reach the pin. So, I had to get one of those jumper batteries that you can plug into the 12V auxiliary (i.e. cigarette lighter jack) and get power back to the lift that way.

torcano

Chief Petty Officer

That was a good link especially for thingabobies that is needed to mount the unit. Based on tpenfields comment, I think I think I will run a small cable from the pin to an easily reachable area near edge of the hatch just in case. As I age the engine bay hatch seems to get heavier each year!

Thalasso

Commander

That was a good link especially for thingabobies that is needed to mount the unit. Based on tpenfields comment, I think I think I will run a small cable from the pin to an easily reachable area near edge of the hatch just in case. As I age the engine bay hatch seems to get heavier each year!

If you kill the batteries and can't get the hatch up, you should be able to access the main battery switches. There you should have a positive and negetive stud to attach jumper cables to. My hatch has an access cover over that unscrews and i can reach in and pull the pin.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just noticed on Lenco's web site, they sell a mounting bracket that allows about 6" of free movement upward so you can access the release pin.