How do adapt my rotary steering wheel to the newer style cable?

gijordan07

Cadet
I have a 1961 MFG Edinboro, with what I assume is the original steering wheel (or at least same age). The boat originally had a Johnson outboard with the cables and pulleys on each side. I want to keep the same steering wheel, but use an 80's Mercury outboard. I think its called teleflex? Just one big fat cable that goes to a bracket on the motor. I've been told you can get an adapter for this type of situation that will bolt to the back of the wheel... Is there really such a beast in existence? If not, anyone know where I can find a vintage styled steering wheel that would look original but have the newer style back?

Thanks for your help!

BonairII

Commander
Re: How do adapt my rotary steering wheel to the newer style cable?

Do you want to use your current steering wheel to keep your boat 'original'? If not, just buy a steering kit from Teleflex or Uflex. A new steering wheel can be had for $20.

Bondo

Staff member

I have a 1961 MFG Edinboro, with what I assume is the original steering wheel (or at least same age). The boat originally had a Johnson outboard with the cables and pulleys on each side. I want to keep the same steering wheel, but use an 80's Mercury outboard. I think its called teleflex? Just one big fat cable that goes to a bracket on the motor. I've been told you can get an adapter for this type of situation that will bolt to the back of the wheel... Is there really such a beast in existence? If not, anyone know where I can find a vintage styled steering wheel that would look original but have the newer style back?

Thanks for your help!

Ayuh,.... Yer talkin' a custom machined piece from yer local Machine Shop, if ya wanta reuse the old wheel...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Are you sure your wheel won't work on a new helm? They are actually pretty standard and have been for some time. The original wheel on my '66 Starcraft had the same shaft size and key as the new one.

gijordan07

Cadet

the best way to describe the old steering is clothesline or a backyard dog leash. The cables run down each side of the boat to pulleys in the back corners, then hooks up in the middle. At the steering wheel it rolls up just like wire onto the spool. The style steering that my new motor takes is one single fat cable the runs down one side to the wheel.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I know what your system is like, I used to have one. I thought we were just talking about adapting the wheel itself.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

Ezmobee is right. You should be able to take your old wheel off of the old shaft that the rope winds on. Than replace all the mechanism behind the dash with the new stuff and put the old wheel back on.