Window tinting

Status
Not open for further replies.

pocket aces

Cadet
Looking to tint my windsheild. Is there a special marine tint to use or can I buy tint from my local auto parts store? I know with cars the tint is on the inside what about a boat? If I was to install on the outside of my windsheild the install would be so much easier.

Thalasso

Commander
Re: Window tinting

Looking to tint my windsheild. Is there a special marine tint to use or can I buy tint from my local auto parts store? I know with cars the tint is on the inside what about a boat? If I was to install on the outside of my windsheild the install would be so much easier.

It goes on the inside. It might not cost you much more to have it done at one of those car audio places and done right with commercial grade tint. I have seen to many of those cheap jobs done and in time the bubbles start appearing.

Philster

Captain

If you can do it yourself right the first time, and get the good tools for trimming the tint and a good squeegee, and you can find the commercial grade tint on-line and get enough to do the windows without ordering too much (so much that you ruin your savings), you can do it yourself.

I've seen some very handy people pull it off, but the art is in trimming it just right, and for that you need skill and a very sharp razor working together so you get it just right.

All your savings go out the no-pun-intended window if you goof up too much.

The key is the commercial grade tint film. It's thick and forgiving and it's like wet-installing vinyl graphics, just harder to trim.

cyclops2

Banned

Word of advice on the films.

Some make claims that they block ALL of the suns bad rays. Some do.
I took a sample piece to my eye doctor he did a 15 second scan of all the bad rays known. Said the piece I was given is just like sunglasses.
Still, the effectiveness of a plastic film versus form fitting glasses can be miles apart.
If you wake up later that 1st night, after a day of full sun, you will know what caused your headache.

cyclops2

Banned

Good call Bondo.

I have been out with seniors & vision problems. One has 2 POWERFULL hand held spotlights for the bow people on his pontoon boat. Can not imagine him with a tinted glass at night.

chriscraft254

Commander

Ayuh,.... Do you Ever go boatin' after dark,..??

If so, Don't do it....

Exactly what I was going to ask. I would love to tint mine, but won't because I boat as much at night as I do during the day.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Everything that was mentioned is good advice. I have the lower windows of my boat tinted (no lower helm station). They did the job with commercial grade Llumar tint for about twice the price I could have done it. I'm pretty handy, so why not do it myself? The have the proper tint, the proper tools, they have the business license, and they give the 6-year warranty on the tint for bubbling, fading, peeling, etc. Worth every penny IMHO...

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

(disclaimer, I've done LOTS of tinting... At one time I wasn't quite doing it for hire (legally), but I was accepting lots of beer money from friends.)

Windows that have a small single curve aren't hard. Read up on how to do it and go to town. Worst case, you pull it off and do it again. If the window has a compound curve, forget it. Leave that to the experts.

pocket aces

Cadet

My boat is a direct drive inboard ski boat with a low profile windsheild. You always seem to be looking over it than through it. Wanting to tint the windsheild for looks not practical use. I will check into having a Pro do it. It is only 2 small side window and 1 large flat.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

You might want to try the removeable stuff that you can get at Walmart. I have used it on my cars with success. If i get tired of it, or it developes an air bubble, you can peel it off and start again.

Status
Not open for further replies.