Light on the bow and stern

codymeggs

Cadet
When do you put the red and green lght on the front of your bass boat and the white light on the back

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Light on the bow and stern

A nice boating course would explain all the information you would need.

oregoncruiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think they usually put them on when they build the boat.

mwassman

Seaman Apprentice

They are navigation lights, yes it sounds like a boaters safty coatse would help alot not just because it is requires but bass boat are fast and dangerou, they scared the h*ll out of me in my 16ft jon

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

you turn them on any time visibility is compromised. dark, dusk, fog, rain, forest fires.

smaller boats have the option of portable/removable lights, battery operated--a good option if you don't use them much. You only have to have them if you operate at night.
I think larger boats are required to have them even if you don't operate at night.

belleview3

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Amen to the boating course. Nav lights and how they are used are basic requirements for boating. Check your state's website for boating regs or the USCG site.
Good luck and stay off my lake until you've taken that course. . .

rickryder

Commander

It's mandatory in NJ to take the course or you can't operate a motorized craft...... Is it not the same everywhere???

belleview3

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's mandatory in NJ to take the course or you can't operate a motorized craft...... Is it not the same everywhere???
Oklahoma lets any idiot 16 years or older with a valid DL operate a boat. Our state believes if you can drive a car, then surely you can operate a boat. But if you're 12 - 15 years old, you have to take the course, then you're legal for PWC or boat. . .

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

very few states have mandatory courses for everyone. A handful of states have required courses for people born before a certain date.

rickryder

Commander

Well it's NJ you need a licence to do just about anything......:facepalm:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

very few states have mandatory courses for everyone. A handful of states have required courses for people born before a certain date.

That should be AFTER a certain date.

Otherwise, my 94 year old grandmother is in trouble.

chriscraft254

Commander

Yup every state is different. No mandatory here over certain age.

Cody, RED RIGHT RETURN. Go to the boating/coast gaurd coarse and you will learn what that means. The color lights effectively tell you what boats are around you at night or in low visability and at what direction they are traveling or not traveling in regards to your boat. Like already stated, take a coarse before you try operating a boat, especially operating at night.

haulnazz15

Captain

Oklahoma lets any idiot 16 years or older with a valid DL operate a boat. Our state believes if you can drive a car, then surely you can operate a boat. But if you're 12 - 15 years old, you have to take the course, then you're legal for PWC or boat. . .

On the flip side, there isn't usually too much of an issue in Oklahoma regarding nighttime navigation, lol.