My uncle wants to sell me this Bayliner Capri 3.0 1986

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: My uncle wants to sell me this Bayliner Capri 3.0 1986

Best starter boat is a tinny with a small outboard as others have said.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Best starter boat is a tinny with a small outboard as others have said.

What's your definition of small? I'm not advocating rowboat style hulls only or anything like that.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

May I suggest an aluminum Starcraft:D

Or, aluminum anything really:)

I second this, aluminum boats are great to get on the water with little needed and will last for just this side of forever. Of course Starcraft is the top of the hill but others are good too :) something in the 15-16' area with a 40-75 hp on it would likely work quite well for you.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The reason it is leaking is because the transom is rotten. Only buy it to part it out.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Of course Starcraft is the top of the hill but others are good too :)

As much as I like Starcrafts, they're just the most common. I wouldn't say they were markedly better than others. Sylvan, Sea Nymph, Smokercraft, Mirrocraft, Lund, Crestliner, etc are all just as good.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

As much as I like Starcrafts, they're just the most common. I wouldn't say they were markedly better than others. Sylvan, Sea Nymph, Smokercraft, Mirrocraft, Lund, Crestliner, etc are all just as good.

Perhaps EZ, but from my experiance they seem to be better designed and use better material then the Aerocraft and Lonestar boats I've owned. Perhaps its not apples to apples as both of those boats are from the 50's vs 60's of the Starcraft. I have no experience with the other brands you mentioned or of new boats.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Perhaps its not apples to apples as both of those boats are from the 50's vs 60's of the Starcraft.

That's probably it. Most other brands of comparable vintage I've seen being worked on here are very similarly built. Some actually a little better so. Sea Nymphs appear to have a more rebust stringer system in my opinion. The only tinnies I've seen that aren't that great are the Spectrum Blue Fins. They're pretty much the Bayliner of the tin world (they were made by Brunswick and usually had Force motors so they really WERE Bayliners). The older (pre-mid80's) Blue Fins look identical to Starcrafts to me.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Agreed ^^^...

I like Starcrafts as there seems to be more of them laying around than all of the others combined - which makes for pretty good selection and bottom feeder pricing. There are certainly better built alum boats out there, you just have to pay for em;)

(at least in my area anyway)

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I'd buy it for $500. A boat like that is worth 2K where I live.
My wife loves my junk collection......I think.