ATL Fuel bladder

mwassman

Seaman Apprentice
Ive been serching for a fuel tank to fit my boat for a while and ive come across the ATL Fuel bladders. Dont know much about them. Wanted some advise as weather or not to use one of these for a permanent below deck fuel tank in my 1652 alweld

Bondo

Staff member
Re: ATL Fuel bladder

Ayuh,.... Never heard of 'em,..... Got a link or somethin',..??

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Here's the link:

http://atlinc.com/marine.html

They're used in high-performance and racing boats, so I'd guess no safety concerns, BUT I also googled 'atl fuel bladder cost' and got some pretty eye-popping results. Might cost more than the OP's boat did.

My .02

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Any reason in particular you would need to use a custom sized bladder as opposed to a standard off-the-shelf fuel tank you could buy for a fraction of the price?

Bondo

Staff member

Any reason in particular you would need to use a custom sized bladder as opposed to a standard off-the-shelf fuel tank you could buy for a fraction of the price?
Watertown, NY

Howdy neighbor,.... Just guessin' by yer screen name,... Are ya over at Ft. Drum,..??

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Howdy neighbor,.... Just guessin' by yer screen name,... Are ya over at Ft. Drum,..??

Yep, although I'm a New Yorker by birth too; from Buffalo.

/Moderator sponsored threadjack ;)

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I think sticking one in any old boat exposes you to risk of puncture or a hole from rubbing against something, and if they are expensive, stick with a tank.

mwassman

Seaman Apprentice

Well i have a 1652 alweld and im trying to keep as much open hull space as possable, there are quite a few places that could hold up to 12 gal of fuel and be out of the way, one spot i have in mind is between the cross members, it i could get a tank made to fit i would be able to lay a floore on top then the onli evidence of s fuel tank thst would be left is a fill cap sticking out of the top. That vs. a 12 gal tank siting on top getting in the way. The dealer that i boaght the boat from included a nice used 12gal low profile tank made by moeller and it will work until i find a solution or scrape up the cash to have something made. Ive been told it would be no problem for and aluminum welder to make me a fuel tank. But i would rather have a nice hdpe plastic tank made to fit my needs but have yet to find some one to make one. That is just my preferance. Yea the more i think of it a fuel bladder just sound bad in a jon boat.

rmcar

Recruit

check around some of racing supply shops in your area. fuel cells come in several sizes and should be able to safely mount inside a boat hull.