improvement from anchor rode upgrade.

nofuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all I have not been on here for some time, hope all are up and ready for the new season.

I have a question on a topic that was dealt with before but i dont think specifically as i am asking.

I have a regal 2760. 29ft express cruiser. about 9000 lbs

it is fitted with a windlasss that holds 1/4" chain. Maxwell freedom 500

i am about to buy a new windlass, and was thinking of just a direct replacement. Maxwell RC6. As per basics, rope size should be 1/8" per 9 ft of boat or 8ft for heavy or high windage boat and chain 1/2 that. putting me in an ok position.

However a friend was advising me that if i increase the chain size from 1/4 to 5/16 it would greatly improve the stability of my boat at anchor. it tends to sway from side to side quite a bit, when i anchor the bow and tie off the stern to shore.

now increasing from 1/4" to 5/16 chain would mean about $800 more in winch cost and about another $500 in anchor rode. ( present rode is about 1 year old)

can anyone tell me if i could expect a great enough improvement in stability by this increase in chain size to be worth the additional $1300 in cost and the additional weight in my bow from heavier winch and rode??

Please advise
No Fuss :)

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: improvement from anchor rode upgrade.

I'm sure others will chime in, but I don't see why an increase in chain size would have ANY effect on stability at anchor. When a boat is anchored at the bow, it swings from side to side. Period.

My .02

haulnazz15

Captain

Chain helps the anchor set and absorbs shock, it will have no discernible effect on your boat swaying while on the hook. If you want to stop the sway, get a smaller second anchor for the stern.

tpenfield

Staff member

If you have your stern anchor closer in than the main anchor, the boat should be pretty stable . . . maybe you are giving the stern anchor too much rode.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Actually, the size and weight of the chain will make a difference in the amount of sway in light breezes, but the minimal difference between 1/4" and 5/16" would be so negligible, you would never notice. Personally, I prefer a length of chain rode equal to the length of the boat and play out more chain when anchoring for more stable positioning.