Electric Anchor Winch

rt_hawley

Seaman
Any particular favourites? Most of my time on the water is spent fishing for channel cats, so I spend a lot of time at anchor. When I have a buddy with me, setting and pulling the anchor isn't a big deal, but I also spend a lot of time fishing solo. It can be a challenge to maintain boat control while pulling the anchor by hand all by myself. I'm considering buying an electric anchor winch when I take possession of my new pontoon. I've seen several types of winches while surfing the net, but haven't seen anything that really convinces me of one brand or another. Any advice/experiences from other users out there?

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Electric Anchor Winch

Length, width, weight of boat (including gear) will best determine the windlass for you. Most manufacturers limit their product line to boats no smaller than 30'. If yours isn't approaching that, most entry level windlass' will work for you. Stay with the name brands for best price, service locations, and parts (Maxwell, Lewmar, etc).

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I believe the OP is referring to a TRAC, Powerewinch, or Deckhand type electric anchor winch

3630501c_2.png

I see a lot of them on the water.
Don't know which are better.
I hear that some of them are real real slow on the retrieve.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a Lewmar with a warping drum and a foot switch, 7 years in salt water trouble free

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I have Minn Kota deck hand and love it, I wired it to the console and I have a wireless trolling motor so I can run the boat from the con.

My boat also has a camper top and I catfish also so once I hit my hole I don't have to go outside exept to cast and reel them in, I can move the boat and anchor fom inside

They are pretty nice the only thing I would complain about, and I think they are all this way, is they use a nylon main gear which will strip out over time but they are cheap and easy to replace, I have done it on the water in 5 minutes, think it is a safety type thing to save the motor.

Even given the gear thing I would buy another one right now and I have been through 1 gear in 3 years.

I looked around and iboats of coarse has the best price on them.

rt_hawley

Seaman

Thanks folks. Think I'm gonna go with the Minn Kota Deckhand pontoon version. Seems to have everything I want in a reasonable price.