Racor fuel/water separator filter with clear bowl question

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer
I bought my 02 cape craft about a month ago, its in the signature. However it came with a racor fuel/water separator. Looks really old or never changed. I believe the gas is old as well, but i put sta-bil in it recently. I tried emptying fuel/water seperator due to that bottom bowl being filled(cant tell if it water or gas and water). but as soon as I prime the bulb again after emptying filter, the filters bowl fills right back up again. Is the gas that contaminated or do I just need a new filter?

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Racor fuel/water separator filter with clear bowl question

That cleas glass (or plastic) site is supposed to fill up. It's there to tell you if you have water in the gas. Water is heavier than fuel and will sink to the bottom. If you have water in the gas, you will see a clear water bubble in the bottom of the amber gasoline. You remove (or just crack open) the nut on the bottom and the fresh gas will evacuate the water bubble out. Please catch this in a canister for proper disposal, not let it fall into the bilge.

The filter has a life span though. The filter should be changed every year or so, depending on the hours you put on the boat (approx every 100 hours). You can buy the replacement filters and reinstall the original glass bowl on the new element.

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Racor fuel/water separator filter with clear bowl question

exactly what i needed to know that makes alot of sense! thank-you!