will Honda 90 4 stroke work on 1988 19ft blue fin sporstman?

mnut

Cadet
I have a chance to buy a 1988 19 foot Blue fin sportsman model. The open bow,front removable pedestal seat model. It has a force 85hp on it. I have a chance at a 2007 Honda 90hp 4 stroke to put on it. Will the transom hold that big honda or is it too heavy of a motor for it? I can't get to the boat right now to look for a tag with a weight restriction or HP Max. capability. I think these can hold a 125 HP...correct...thanks for any help!

Philster

Captain
Re: will Honda 90 4 stroke work on 1988 19ft blue fin sporstman?

An old 85hp Force is 350 lbs. I think they're made of lead inlaid with a collapsed star. :D

The Honda checks in around 360 lbs. They're made with alien-like shiny metal parts found in UFO's. :D

That'd be a 'go for it'!

Happy Boating! :)

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I'd do it in a heartbeat.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

The transom rating has littel or nothing to do with engine weight, hang weight is insignificant compared to the force put on the transom at full throttle, they arer rated for the tourque the engine puts on the transom.

Think of the engine as a big lever, it is attached to the boat at one end and force is applied at the other, han weight is vertical, the engine force is horizontal.

If your transom is rated for 125 it will hold a 90 easy just be sure it is in good shape, they do rot over time, you should be able to stand on the cav plate with your full body weight and have the transom not move more than 1/8'', if it moves more than that consider redoing the transom when the engine is off.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That boat will handle it fine. Now is an '88 Blue Fin worthy of an '07 Honda? That's a whole other issue :p

mnut

Cadet

Thanks for the help so far. What do you mean by the blue fin may not be worthy? I know it's not a starcraft,lund,or crestliner but it is just the most well taken care of boats I've looked at over the winter. Truely always garaged,unsgathed upholstery,so well taken care of. Looking on in and under this boat,one can tell it hasn't a lot of time on the lakes. The owner is a bust business and wants his garage space for other "toys". I jumped and waddled on the floors and no soft spots. Being that it is truely a garage kept boat,the transom is solid. I can't find rot anywhere. But if I can't see any,being that it's 23 years old,could the plywood transsom just be dry to sight and just due to air,it is crummy behind the coats of paint? I pokes a lil bit.Seems solid to me. Am I missing something?...thanks again for the help? BTW...got an idea of what I should pay for a 2005 Honda 90hp 4 stroke,complete with all controls and cables,off the boat and can't hear a run test?

Philster

Captain

I am guessing he was just kidding, because the boat is almost a decade older than the motor.

He gave you the ol' :p <---tongue out = just kidding.

pmillar

Petty Officer 1st Class

...got an idea of what I should pay for a 2005 Honda 90hp 4 stroke,complete with all controls and cables,off the boat and can't hear a run test?

If you can't see/hear it run, then the question become what's it worth if you part it out (in my opinion.) You wouldn't know if the lower unit was trashed, burning oil, main bearing about to let go - or already gone... Having said that, when I bought my Crestliner, the motor was cooked, so it was priced accordingly. I had hoped it might be a quick fix but ended up springing for a new powerhead. Fortunately the lower unit was fine or I would have overpaid. So the bottom line is how comfortable are you taking the risk that it's dead or dying? That's your call.

NYBo

Admiral

As long as the hull is rated for at least that many ponies AND the structure is sound, you should be fine.

An old 85hp Force is 350 lbs. I think they're made of lead inlaid with a collapsed star. :D

The Honda checks in around 360 lbs. They're made with alien-like shiny metal parts found in UFO's. :D

That'd be a 'go for it'!

Happy Boating! :)
An '88 Force 85 without power tilt & trim weighs 249#; add 20 or 25# for PTT. Even a 125 of that era is only 300# (all came with PTT).

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I am guessing he was just kidding, because the boat is almost a decade older than the motor.

He gave you the ol' :p <---tongue out = just kidding.

Sorta. It was more a top of the line motor on a bottom of the line boat kinda thing.