Bronze Thru-Hull Fitting for Sink

HPLou

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good Day.
I have bought my sink with 1-1/4" Drain.
Now I need to buy a Thru-Hull Bronze Fitting.
Should I go with 1-1/4" also or 1" is enough?
Thanks

nosticks

Cadet
Re: Bronze Thru-Hull Fitting for Sink

1-1/4" eliminate adapters. Since you are using a thru haul I assume the sink is draining below the water line. You will get a little better flow with the larger thru haul. The inside diameter of the thru haul is a big difference between a 1" and a 1-1/4".

UncleWillie

Captain

If I understand it correctly, you are attempting to plumb a sink directly overboard.
I realize that you are in canada, but depending on where you boat, this may not be legal. :(
You may have local laws that read similar to ...

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Except on the waters of ....., no person shall launch, moor, dock, use, operate, or permit to be operated on any of the waters in this state any vessel that contains a sink, toilet, or sanitary system that is capable of discharging urine, fecal matter, contents of a chemical commode, kitchen wastes, laundry wastes, slop sink drainage, or other household wastes into the waters in this state. Such a sink, toilet, or sanitary system shall be removed, sealed, or made to drain into a tank or reservoir that can be carried or pumped ashore for disposal in a sewage treatment works approved by the director of environmental protection.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

This may not apply to your situation, but it's better to know than be fined!
Even if legal, I would advise against dumping any waste unless you were extremely offshore with no plans for reaching land for a good while. :)

HPLou

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks UncleWillie for the info. I wan't no problems with Canada & USA Coast Guards.I know for Toilet it is prohibate to plumb overboard but for sinks I am surprise. All the boats in my Marina (Chambly,Quebec) plumb sinks overboard and they navigate also on Lake Champlain, Hudson River. They never had any problems with US Coast Guards! I was set up with a 6gal tank last year for my sink. and want to change it this coming season. I have to investigate further, You scare me now, I will take my vacations on Lake Champlain this summer.

UncleWillie

Captain

You never know what the Coast guard will look at during an inspection.
They just might not have suspected that people have been bypassing the sinks. :D
If you want to know for sure, Ask them.

There is probably a good reason the manufacturer of the boat plumbed the sink to the holding tank! :rolleyes:

As my father used to say in my younger days, "It's not illegal if you don't get caught!" :eek:

sasto

Captain

Thanks UncleWillie for the info. I wan't no problems with Canada & USA Coast Guards.I know for Toilet it is prohibate to plumb overboard but for sinks I am surprise. All the boats in my Marina (Chambly,Quebec) plumb sinks overboard and they navigate also on Lake Champlain, Hudson River. They never had any problems with US Coast Guards! I was set up with a 6gal tank last year for my sink. and want to change it this coming season. I have to investigate further, You scare me now, I will take my vacations on Lake Champlain this summer.

I think you need to check with local authorities, as UncleWillie states. I have traveled the Hudson and Lake Champlain many times, and been boarded a few. (They see a big Sportfish from Florida and want to take a peek). I never had a problem with plumbing my sinks overboard. I think this law applies only to landlocked waterways.

Have fun.....Enjoy your summer!

HPLou

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Again Sasto & UncleWillie.
I will call the US Coast Guard. I will get back with the info.