1997 Tracker pro team 17

jdhgcb

Seaman
looking to upgrade my fishing vessel. so I will be looking at a 97 tracker pro team 17. I know so far it has the 40 horse mercury i believe. factory trolling motor and electronics. my question is to anyone familiar with these trackers. what things should I be looking for in a used boat? I know to check lower unit oil condition, and the obvious things like latches on all the compartments and such. What else mechanical should I look for? I will of course see if the seller is willing to have it checked over by a local shop. I am mechanically inclined, just don't have extensive experience in these boats. Also I am in AZ can anyone give a possible value? the seller claims it to be in very good condition. garage kept.

thanks in advance.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1997 Tracker pro team 17

Tracker is bottom of the line but if it's well maintained it could be a good buy. That one sounds pretty underpowered though. A compression test on the motor is a must.

The biggest complaint I have seen from Trackers (aluminum ones) is leaking because of the riveting. If this is glass, disregard. A couple of things, considering I owned a Tracker at one time...and...I really liked the boat. It was smooth, handled and rode well, and was really fast (70HP) until the motor died on me.

First - There is nothing wrong with a Tracker. You take care of it and it will take care of you. I don't like the rivet system but the new Trackers are welded...the one you are looking is probably not.

Second - ez is correct. It's underpowered and you must test the engine. I'd put a 70 and perhaps a 90 on it. It was probably sold originally with the 40. BTW, you can buy a new 17 with a 60 for under $14K. Keep that in mind. You can buy a two year old, same same, for about $8,000.

Third - I would consider a 1997 in good shape worth around $3000...ok...maybe $3500 but I'm a wheeler dealer AND your area may demand more or less. Compare in Craigslist. There are 98's down here for $4500. The one in the link is an 18 footer.

Fourth - Watch the transom...yes there is wood in there even on the tin boats.

and D - "have it checked over by a local shop" Good idea and a test ride would be very good. That will show you any leak problems.

Good luck and post some pix if you buy it!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

And don't buy one with a Force on it that some turd is calling a Mercury like the one link above :eek: ^^^^

idon'thaveaname, that one you posted also looks welded. Maybe this one is too?

I agree ez. I was looking at a brand new Tracker Pro 17 w/60HP the other day at Bass Pro. Completely welded and a really sexy looking boat and under $14K. What I noted was the storage areas in the rear deck. It's covered, but the hole is an insert of a plastic box that can be removed and the edges of said plastic box don't reach the deck framing so that the foam is exposed. Of course, with the box out, it's nothing but foam. I really didn't like that. For a couple of grand more I can buy a Dusky, a Mako, and others that would serve me better. Even used, the BT is a less expensive boat, but like everything, buyer beware, especially with boats.

shurt

Seaman Apprentice

I picked up a 2000 Tracker Deep V 17 (90 hp Force) by Merc. Marine :facepalm: Got this boat very cheap due to hull dent. Ran all last yr. and few times this winter (Walleye) So far i am very pleased with Outboard and boat. I have friends and relatives who have been screwed with Force engines...I did my due diligence prior to buying. Compression tested out at Factory Specs, idles down to just above 3 mph, have had at 52 mph with (2) 200 lb guys, 70 lb dog and full tank of gas (I do feel the 90 is overpowered)...Never thought I'd say it, but I Love this O/B...That said, Still would advise to shy away from Force O/B's I am sure there are well maintained quality ones out there...I have stripped my front deck down to hull against some advice. Glad I did, found 3 Brackets to (stringers??) sheared off at rivets. I feel confident I can get this boat stronger (hullwise) then it was when it left the factory. I agree with above post that Trackers are bottom of the line. In my world that is what I can afford, I knew when buying mine that I would be doin Hull repair this winter.. If not confident, have local marina inspect rig. Well worth avoiding a LEMON..

night fisher

Recruit
i have a 2005 tracker welded aluminum 16 foot and it leaks from the welds that are on the inside of the boat and tracker told me they will only warty that for five years so my boat breaks every time i take it out so I'm going to buy the new g3 from yamaha