Will a #8 anchor hold a 23 ft cape craft down?

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Will a #8 anchor hold a 23 ft cape craft down?

I tried an 8# danforth on my 24 Foot boat and it did not hold, except in the most ideal conditions. So, I reverted back to my 13# anchor and used the 8# as the stern anchor.

As I recall, the top end of the recommendation for an 8# was at 24 ft, but it really does not work.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Depends on what the bottom is made out of, and what #8 anchor you are referring to.

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer

I tried an 8# danforth on my 24 Foot boat and it did not hold, except in the most ideal conditions. So, I reverted back to my 13# anchor and used the 8# as the stern anchor.

As I recall, the top end of the recommendation for an 8# was at 24 ft, but it really does not work.

I should have listed im looking for a danforth style anchor in the gulf of mexico so sand. I thought it was ranked up there to but just want to make sure before buying.

I will be using in moderate conditions as well.

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer

A traditional 8# Danforth anchor would be ideal for a sand bottom. Add 20' of 1/4" chain and you're good to go 90% of the time. Choose the 8# if you're a "that ought to do" person. If you want the peace of mind that a "belt and suspenders" person demands, go with the 13# and an extra 5' of chain. Ground tackle requirements vary widely depending upon how you're going to use your boat, so there is no "one size fits all" answer for every boater. Without a sufficient length of chain, neither anchor will hold in "sporty" conditons.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

You might want to go to a more reliable source than that 'academy' site. Okay, says it's good for a 24' boat... in what kind of wind?

Here's the Danforth site-

http://www.danforthanchors.com/

You'll note that their own anchors' ratings are based on holding power in a 20 knot wind. Around here, that's maybe 5 knots above a normally breezy day and nowhere near the conditions you'd encounter in a pop-up storm. Just sayin'...

I have a Danforth Deepset TII-1800 on my boat. Good for a 42'er in 20 knot wind. I think I have a decent safety margin there when a real wind whips through the anchorage.

My .02

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

chain is important, but i disagree with 20' and I disagree with the formula based on boat length. Just get heavier chain.

Also the amount of line you let out (scope) determines if it will hold; the longer the scope, the better it holds. Again, I disagree with the stated formulas based on depth unless you are mooring an unattended boat overnight in a storm, but the concept is sound.

IOW a smaller anchor properly rigged and set will do better than a large one not rigged and set properly.

Some boats' anchor locker is not big enough (deep enough) for the right size anchor, so (a) salesmen won't say what you need and (b) you may end up cutting and redrilling the anchor shaft. Too much alteration affects the function of the anchor.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I would get a size larger anchor. MY friend once lost his main anchor(20# fluke anchor), and a backup 5lb fluke-type anchor with no chain held fine on his 30 footer, in strong current and wind. Of course I got no sleep that night since I expected to be on the bank at any minute.