Soliciting opinions on the best dinghy/tender options

gerg1962

Cadet
Hello,
I will shortly be aquiring a 26' Fiberform carbin cruiser style boat for use in exploring the San Juan Islands of Washington state. Since most destination will require me to be moored to a buopy or anchored off shore I will need some sort of tender or dinghy or other smaller vessel in order to get from the boat to shore.

What are my best options?

I don;t think my boat will be big enough to accomodate a davit system so more than likely I will want something I can tow behind me.

Is there any one type of small boat that would be better to tow in the waters in and around Puget Sound? Inflatable? fiberglass dinghy, aluminium boat etc.

Since my boat is trailerable and I will trailer it I would need some thing that can be hauled easilly in the back of my pick up or on my ladder rack. An inflatable I guess would be easy to stow defelated but probably a pain to deflate and re-infalte.

Can any of you fine folks share some of your wisdon in this regard?

Thanks,

Craig

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Soliciting opinions on the best dinghy/tender options

I don't know of any small boat that will be appropriate for towing around Puget Sound. . .

Sailboats can tow the dinghy behind them, because they go slow. Power boats, not so much. If you have any decent wave conditions, then matters get worse.

You would probably want some sort of inflatable boat that you can strap to the swim platform or something.

gerg1962

Cadet

I suppose if I don't go too fast I might be okay but I will search out an inflatable that I can store on the swim platform or on the bow.

Maybe I can make a mini davit system.

Thanks for the input.

C

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Check out the Sport Yak line. They are small and light enough to carry aboard, unsinkable and carry a LOT of weight.

If you need more room I would suggest a Boston Whaler Squall; 9', or a Tender 11' from the 80s.

Inflatables and RIBs are always an option, and iboats offers options there.