Canvas cockpit cover without snaps?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Hi all, I just purchased a set of canvas covers for my Larson 186 bowrider. The bowcover snaps on and fits perfectly. The cockpit cover, though, has no snaps to attach it to the boat. I contacted the seller and their response was that this was common practice because the snaps on the cover need to be set where the snaps on the boar are located.

I'm a little surprised, since these were advertised as "genuine factory covers" and none of the promotional literature said anything about snaps need to be installed.

After I got over my surprise, I looked on the Web and it doesn't look too difficult to install snaps, but I still wonder if this is common or accepted practice.

The covers themselves seem to be pretty good quality; they are made wit Sunbrella fabric and they have a fairly heavy nylon web reinforcing around the edges (where I presume the snaps are to be installed).

I'm a complete newbie at this boating stuff and I don't want to be unreasonable, but I find the whole thing rather weird. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Canvas cockpit cover without snaps?

After I got over my surprise, I looked on the Web and it doesn't look too difficult to install snaps, but I still wonder if this is common or accepted practice.

Ayuh,.... If they were to built 1000 hulls, No 2 will have the snaps in the Exact same spots,...
So,...
Yes, that's quite Normal....

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

JA, It sounds like you are going to want to install the snaps. You can buy a snap installation tool for a few $, and it will work like crap, but it will work. They also have two piece installation kits that you use a hammer to set the snap. These stink as well. The much much better tool to install the snaps looks like a vicegrip, but costs $70+.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Hmm, thanks for the replies. Guess I get to learn about snap-installing, eh? I wonder if a local upholstery shop would have the vicegrip-like snap tool that I could borrow/rent?

Bondo

Staff member

Hmm, thanks for the replies. Guess I get to learn about snap-installing, eh? I wonder if a local upholstery shop would have the vicegrip-like snap tool that I could borrow/rent?

Ayuh,.... While I doubt they'll loan ya their tools,...

They'll probably be willin' to install the snaps for ya...

robert graham

Admiral

Might be worth a few $$ to let a pro at the upholstery shop do it for you, or you can learn to do it yourself....maybe practice a few snaps on a spare piece of fabric, to get a feel for it! When it's done right the cover should be just nice and tight, but not too tight or too loose...and that's where the professional expertise might be good! Good Luck on your Snap Adventure!;)

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I own an upholstery shop. Go there with the boat. We install nickel snaps with the Press-N-Snap tool (vise grippy thing) for $1.00 each. That comes with a 1 year pull-out warranty. Both nickel and SS are corrosion free. Smear just a light dab of Chapstick on the socket portion (female) of the snap every 6 months-1 year and they will work perfectly forever.

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the Chapstick tip. Very clever.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Thanks for all the replies. I found a snap kit locally and I'll give it a try. If it doesn't work well, or if it looks like I'm going to screw up my cover, I'll look for a pro at an upholstery shop. And I definitely will be trying the Chapstick trick, Fireman431, what a clever idea!

Thanks again for the suggestions! You all are so helpful!

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

One more question (well, one more for now, anyway...): a couple of the snap buttons are missing from the boat, and it looks like the holes are striped out and are too large for the screws to bit into. Is there anything I can use to safely fill the hole so a screw would have something to bite?

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Fill the hole with MarineTex putty and allow to harden. Lightly sand with a Scotchbrite pad. It comes in an off white or a brite white color, so get the one that matches the gelcoat of your boat.

Once it dries, it's super strong. You can then predrill (predrill and champher the top so the gelcoat doesn't chip off) and reinstall a 'screwsnap', but I recommend moving it over approx 1/4" and bite into new fiberglass. The minimal distance will never be noticed as not being symmetrical with the other snaps and the width of the snap base should cover most of the repaired spot. Add your snaps to the canvas after the new snaps have been placed.

haulnazz15

Captain

Rivets are commonly used to pin the snap base as well. May be easier than the putty if you can find a pop rivet that fits the hole well.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Well, my only question is: If the bow cover came with snaps, why not the cockpit cover? Snaps are snaps and if the manufacturer is going to have them placed differently on the cockpit, then why not differently on the bow? I don't think the argument about different snap placement holds water. I am certain that the manufacturer buys the covers with snaps already installed. It just would not make economic sense to do it when building the hull.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I don't know. The bow cover has about 10 snaps, though, and the cockpit cover has over 45... that's a lot of snaps to line up.

haulnazz15

Captain

The previous owner may have installed the snaps for the bow cover as he used it, but he never used the cockpit cover. It's all a moot point, because if the cover is the correct size/shape for the cockpit, it will function just the same as if the snaps were installed at the dealership/factory.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

As Bond-o so eloquently put it...Ayuh,...that's it.

Well, my only question is: If the bow cover came with snaps, why not the cockpit cover? Snaps are snaps and if the manufacturer is going to have them placed differently on the cockpit, then why not differently on the bow? I don't think the argument about different snap placement holds water. I am certain that the manufacturer buys the covers with snaps already installed. It just would not make economic sense to do it when building the hull.

And they may have been made by separate companies. You can buy aftermarket canvas from a few different manufacturers. Same patterns, same material, etc. Some sell them a bit cheaper because they don't install snaps or use cheaper zippers. Sales gimmick.

Honestly though, if you just run it to a local upholstery shop, unhook the trailer and go eat lunch, it'll be done by the time you get back. And if there's a fitment problem or they pull thru the canvas later, it's warrantied.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Well, I'm going to get some MarineTex and try re-attaching the couple male snap pieces that are missing.

Fireman, I wished I lived closer to your shop; my local upholstery place wanted $80 to do the snaps. Ouch! I guess I will be experimenting with my little die-and-anvil kit and see if I can handle it myself. I have a feeling I'll be learning a lot of new things with this boat!