Livingston Owners: How fast is your boat?

SwillFish

Cadet
My goal is to get my 14' Livingston to do a consistent 25 mph top speed with two guys on board. By tweaking my outboard mounting height/angle and going to a slightly smaller prop size, I've gotten my current top speed up to 23 mph from 19 mph. There are still a few minor tweaks I can do, so hopefully I'll get there. My outboard is a 30hp Tohatsu 2stroke from the mid 80's. It's ugly looking, but super reliable and lightweight at about 110lbs.

My previous Livingston was 12' with a late 90's Honda 15hp 4stroke. My top speed on that boat with two guys on board was about 19 mph.

Some recommendations:
Raising your transom mount a few inches above factory standard will generally decrease outboard drag and cavitation without any loss of power.
If you are not achieving close to your engine's maximum recommended rpm's at full throttle, consider trying a smaller prop. Likewise, if your rpm's are too high, then the reverse can also be true.
Install a drain plug in the back of your center stabilization hull. Both of my Livingstons had a couple of gallons of water that accumulated in there over the years. Not only is this a safety issue, it added a lot of extra weight that decreased performance.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Livingston Owners: How fast is your boat?

By tweaking my

Ayuh,.... Have ya Tweaked the Hull,..??

Flatten, 'n Trued the bottom,..??

Sharpened, Squared, 'n Trued the strakes, corners, 'n transom edge,..??

OhopJoe

Cadet

Install a drain plug in the back of your center stabilization hull. Both of my Livingstons had a couple of gallons of water that accumulated in there over the years. Not only is this a safety issue, it added a lot of extra weight that decreased performance.

I recently bought a 12 foot Livingston and one of the previous owners had drilled a hole on the bow end of the small center keel / stabilizing hull. I was going to spray foam into it and close it off. I guess I'll make sure it's water tight. I know both the front and the back floatation chambers usually get water into them, but never thought about this small keel until I found this drilled hole and your post.

Well, let me tell you. I have a 12 foot Livingston, center console, 25 horse Tohatsu (that I recently upgraded to 30 thanks to the wonderful folks on this site!) and on my recent test run solo, just me the boat and motor.... 29.3 mph. With my 200 pound step son in the bow we comfortably hit 28.4

To me, this is the ideal setup. When it was just a 25 horse we could hit 24 mph, but now at 28 I feel we have a greater cruising distance, we don't have to run the throttle at full wide open ALL the time and it's just more responsive with a much better hole shot.

As far as your 14 foot doing 23, that's pretty darn good. My old 14 would only max out the 25 horse Mercury with another person and best speed was 21. So you're doing great!

And in response, I'm not quite sure that I follow your drain plug recommendations... My 12 footer has a rear spar that runs down the center (Like most Livingstons do) are you proposing that someone drill a hole in that spar and install a drain? UMM, what happens if it pops out? I mean, I guess the boat won't sink, but.... I don't know.... seems kinda scary~

Okay, well thanks for starting this thread!

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class

The 8' Livingston that I found at the local dump will top out at 14mph with the 6hp Johnson I pulled out of a trash bin on Bowen Island. I bought a 3 blade 8.25x8 prop (from iboats of course) to replace the stock 2 blade OEM and that made all the difference. Even with me, my heavy tackle box, 6 gallons of fuel, sounder, fishing gear etc she climbs out of the hole pretty good now. With the 2 blade it would just barely climb up on plane if the fuel was below 1/2 a tank and nothing else on-board. I still have to keep the fuel up front and sit way forward as the motor is well over the rated max. I was out on a very windy and choppy lake yesterday and was able to beat into the wind rather well. Amazingly stable little boat. It's hard to believe it is only 8 feet long. I will be refinishing the hull and raising the transom and that should get me a bit more top speed. The whole set up cost me about $150 in parts and fibreglass materials so far.

hotfish

Cadet

I just got a 10 footer for 150 bucks took the trolling motor off the olympic (8hp evinrude) and taking the wife to a local lake today for some fishing ill let you know how it does.

hotfish

Cadet

well the boat doing good was a complete failure the 8 horse short shaft wouldnt plane the boat with 2 people so i dropped the wife on the bank and tried it solo same outcome it almost started to break over then the motor would cavitate and fall back down again. i dont have that center keel on my boat so was wondering if i should make one and glass it all in or should i look at a 20-30 horse motor?????????? anyone with any opinions would be great. i also tried my buddys 9.9 long shaft and still didnt work out.

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mine is very sensitive to weight in the stern and I have to sit well forward. You should check and make sure the flotation cavities aren't full of water too. What sort of rpm are you getting at WOT?

hotfish

Cadet

im not sure i dont have a tach. i know livingston says that the 10 footer gets a short shaft but with out that center keel that keeps air away from the motor it cavitates but a long shaft is way to long. what size motor are you running? i will check those cavities been looking into getting some 2 part foam and re doing them anyways. thanks for the input

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class

A standard length 6hp Johnson. I believe it is a 15 inch leg but I will verify that when I get into the shop. I use a 3/4 inch transom riser to get the prop at the perfect height. Interesting about the keel. I get water climbing up the leg and over the transom, as well as a terrific amount of air between the hulls, even with that keel, but Livingston would know better than I do. I was thinking about deleting it but will think twice now. Like I said, weight dist is the most important thing with my little 8' tub. It will not flatten out on plane unless I keep the fuel tank all the way forward and shift my weight at least half way there as well. I also bought a 3 blade 8.25x8 prop as the oem 2 blade spun too freely. The 3 blade allows me to turn ~5800-6000 rpm on plane which is just about right. I duct-taped a vibra-tach on the cover to get an rpm reading. You can get one at just about any small engine shop for about $10. But definitely check for water in the flotation.

hotfish

Cadet

cool i will check the flotation cavitys for water. i am in the navy and getting ready to deploy soon so it may be a while but it will definately be on the agenda of things to take care of when i return. i am just wanting the boat to plane with 2 adults and fishing gear dont have to go to fast but for it to plane out will be nice. i will have internet while i am gone and will continue to learn more from this forum.

OhopJoe

Cadet

My 12 footer will not plane with my short shaft 7.5 4 cycle honda. I do have a lot of weight in there, 2 trolling batteries, build in carpeted deck, gas, my fat a**, LOL. I am looking for a 15hp, but am afraid that a 4-stroke would be too heavy and am not ready to huff 2-cycle engine fumes all day. So, as my friend said: "planing is overrated." I will just go my 7mph to wherever I am going in leisure.

TrueNorthist

Petty Officer 1st Class

A 15hp 4-stroke will be fine on a 12 footer. Just watch your overall weight.

go boat

Cadet

I've got a 12'er (1985), that I use to access perfect surf along a stretch of restricted coastline. Up until last month, I've been powering it with a Suzuki 15hp, short shaft, tiller controls. Fully loaded, me and a buddy, two surfboards each, and relatively clean conditions, we got her up to 20mph. I sold the Suzuki (great little engine, parting with it was bitter sweet) and picked up a Mariner 25hp with controls. I am in the process of raising/reinforcing the transom and then I will mount the new (used) motor. From there, I plan on doing some water testing to figure out where the sweet spot is in regards to weight distribution. My plan is to build a bow cover, add a windshield and move the seating forward and side by side. I got the inspiration from a 14'er that I saw on Craigslist that was set up that way by the factory.
Great boats...

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Ahh - - This is a Feb 2012 post!!!!!

OhopJoe

Cadet

So it's old but still very usefull. Why this constant push to start new threads???

WIMUSKY

Staff member

So it's old but still very usefull. Why this constant push to start new threads???

This is why:
12. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months UN-LESS you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread. This is considered a hijack. Please start a new thread of your own.

You've been a member going on 3 years, please familiarize yourself with the forum rules:
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines/forum-rules-397820.html

This thread needs be left alone so it can go back to the archives.......