Rack storage feedback

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer
With kids and work and the great Ohio weather we have been kicking around the idea of using a local marina for indoor year round rack storage. There are a couple around here that I've already made initial contact with. Now I would like to set up a visit with them before making a decision. What are some of your experiences and what should I be concerned about?

My thoughts are we would use our boat a lot more if we didn't have to rush home from work, hook up, get the kids and boat ready, and then wait at public docks to launch. Then at the end of the day rush everything to get back home.

Our boat has never had bottom paint and I really would like to leave it that way. I don't like the idea of it sitting in the water outside in the elements all the time either.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Rack storage feedback

Check to see what lead time they need to get your boat in the water. Find out about flushing after use. Some marinas will flush it and other want you to. Also ask about washing...they get dirty sitting in racks. Others have no space to set it outside if you need to wash or do minor maintenance. Also see if you get a break on fuel prices at the marina, otherwise you'll have to bring yout trailer there, load up the boat, run to the gas station, etc.

bobdec

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Check out security while at their dock.. In my area in/out services are 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. If you want to go out earlier you have to call day before and boat is left out all night, coming in after 5 PM boat is out till next day. Our place has a locked gate for entry. You need to have good size fenders always deployed on both sides after docking, when they put it in for you the boat faces "out" and can be on either side of the dock(s). When returning from the day you have to aim the boat it "in" to signal the crew to put it away, so fenders on both sides are needed. The exhaust from diesel fork lift(s) coats the boat with a black film during heavy in/out rack activity. So a mooring cover is almost a necessity to protect the seats, upholstery and any outdoor carpeting, also cats, raccons, etc seem to love the covered storage buildings. If it's a beautiful evening and you have a sudden urge to go out for a sunset cruise forget about it. However with the size of your boat 21ft CC launching and retrieval can also damper a sudden impulse. If you trailer now I think rack storage will be more convenient and make you happy. Call 2 hours ahead of time or the night before and then just walk up to your boat and go. Our marina does have 'service slips' with water and electricity for washing and maintenance. But remember when on the rack there is no way to charge batteries, so you need to keep your battery(s) in good shape for possible long periods of no activity. And when on the rack most likely there is no access to your boat to retrieve any gear left aboard, racks are usually not open to public (security and safety), my boat happens to be on a top rack about 20 feet in the air, impossible to access. This is a big concern if you leave fishing gear, PFD's, recreational gear on the boat. I also have a couple of kayaks and two waverunners so I have, a home set, and a boat set of PFD's. Plus a couple of old spare poles and tackle around the house.

calvinator

Petty Officer 1st Class

I rack in downtown Cleveland. It is 15 mins from my house and 5 mins from work. Very high on convenience to use the boat. For our family, we enjoy a few hours of boating (usually Thursday evening and Sunday mid-day) and then want to move on to something else. With the rack I don't spend any time loading/unloading. Works well.

Only negative thing is the dirt and grime. I would love my boat to be fully detailed and spotless everytime, but with rack storage I just don't have the "home" facilities to keep it in that condition. Sure there are work racks, water, electric, but usually it is not my driveway. Just a tradeoff.

The marina workers all are competant to rack your boat. I have not had any theft/abuse issues.

The only thing I would ensure and plan for is when they rack your boat, they put a plastic tarp over your boat so any bird poop or drippeings from above ruin your boat. BAD news about a plastic cover is it traps heat and moisture in your boat and black mold forms on your seats in just a few days. Just be prepared for a quick clean up before using your boat, or a way to get ventalation while stored.

I also like the idea my boat is away from the sun, rain, grimey water elements.

Everything is a tradeoff, but racking is convenient for my use.

OH YEAH, all the marinas will have some type of "guest slip" you can use for a weekend or something. Just be sure to get on the wait list for it! One day after the boating season opens, that guest slip sign up sheet will be full!

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Been racking mine for 2 years. Advantages are the convinence. No towing, no waiting in line at the ramp, etc.. Plus my marina has racks for working on the boat, washing etc.. They will even let you borrow tools, etc.. The marina also frequenty sponsors lunches, fishing demos., etc., which is nice. Other advantage in my case is the location, which is ideal. The nearest ramp is a zoo on the weekends.

Biggest disadvantage as mentioned is that you feel that you are sometimes on their clock. No early morning starts unless you leave the boat out overnight. If you get back to the marina late, again it will stay out overnight, but security is really good at my place. Other biggest complaint is the grime on the boat each time. You definitely want to keep it covered. At my marina the fork lifts run on propane, and it still amazing how much dust gets on the boat over a week. At other places that use diesel engines, expect lots of black crap from the exhaust.......its something I'd ask about. If you have a wife that will be her biggest complaint. There are 2 guys that run the forks at my place, and they are really good. No problems there. I'm spoiled now, no going back to towing for me.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

No experience with rack storage, but going from trailering to having a slip was nice. The only rack storage place I looked at was almost 2X what a slip would be.

Friscoboater

Captain

I wish they had racks on my lake. I would for sure take advantage of that.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I wish they had racks on my lake. I would for sure take advantage of that.

They have great racks at the lake by my place...but the wife yells at me everytime the girls with them come near...:D

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey everyone, thanks for all the great replies. Both have over night docks and work areas. One has 2 gas pumps right there on site. The other one you have go up the river a little way and is a separate company. One is 10 minutes away from home, the other is 20. As far as security - well they are about the same. I guess I would have ask around the docks to get other boaters opinions. I think it's time to go and take visits of both facilities and find out exactly what they have to offer. Oh yeah they also both have great reputations and cost about the same. To compare them to renting a slip for the season, the cost is only about $400 to $500 more for rack at these 2 in particular. The dirt and the mess would not be an issue as I can just take the trailer around the corner to the public dock and bring her home for a bath. I'll have to find out about the flushing though.

Fireman - don't feel bad, my wife gets mad too!