Can't remove Swivl-Eze Snap-Lock Seat Pedestals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregonite

Recruit
Has anyone had problems removing Swivl-Eze seat pedestals out of the aluminum bases? I've tried soaking them with PB Blaster and tried turning them with a pipe wrench. They won't move. All ideas will be appreciated. :(

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Can't remove Swivl-Eze Snap-Lock Seat Pedestals

Quite a few people have this problem. I have these pedestals in my boat and some of my buddies refuse to try to remove them to move them to a different base, they say they're too hard... I call them wimps.

While leaning over the seat lift the locking tab with one finger and grasp the bottom of the pedestal with the same hand, grab the pedestal a little further up with the other hand and use the inside of your elbows to grab the seat. Use a side to side rocking motion in the direction of the locking tab while lifting up and the pedestal will come free of the base. Trying to remove the pedestal from the base while just lifting straight up won't work, you have to use the side to side rocking motion.

It's not hard to do once you get the hang of it.

Edited to say: My bad, I have the SE Power Wedge seat peds and bases... but try the wiggle/rocking side to side motion while lifting the pedestal out of the base, I think it will work.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Dad's get so tight, almost impossible to remove.

We have now removed the locking tab.

And use a large rubber mallet to smack the crap out of it while rocking and lifting.

They get even harder if there is sand in them.

I don't have this problem because....

I watched dad struggle too much, and I chose an alternative base.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Unless you're speaking of the pedastal-to-floor connection (the tube into the flange bolted to the deck). Some of those have retaining/set screws that are put in from underneath and their not designed to come out. You have to remove the flange from the floor and attack it from the bottom side.

Oregonite

Recruit

The pedestals I have, there's a little black button you push in about 2 inches above the base.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

The pedestals I have, there's a little black button you push in about 2 inches above the base.

Push the button in and wiggle from side to side while lifting/pulling up.

Oregonite

Recruit

Thanks guys for quickly responding to my question. :)

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Did anything work? Were you able to remove it?

SingleShot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Something to try if your seats become really tight, as these are wedge style only to become more tight. I made some aluminum washers to place into the bottom the the wedge hole or base. This will allow the base to snap in but not get overly wedged (bottom of wedge will rest on the washer. I played around until I found the right thickness that allows the seat to become wobble free yet made it easier to remove. Just you jigngrub's method as this is what I do.

jk

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

I have one on my boat,it is a pain.
I use a teflon base lubricant and still have to wiggle the bugger out.
Don't have to worry about it falling out while trailering though...

Oregonite

Recruit

The boat is in storage out of town. I'll let you know when I work on it again sometime this week. Thanks again :)

Gasman62

Recruit
There are a few steps to accomplish this :
1: spray silicone lube into post base around post
2: use a screw driver to push the white plastic lock button on bottom all the way into the tube to keep it disengaged.
3: remove the seat from post
4: use a large pipe wrench to grab the post and then use a rubber mallot to rotate the post about 30 degrees to break the cold weld seal from years of junk build up.
5: replace the seat and attach tight as possible
6: get a car jack and jack the seat up which will pull the entire thing out.

Status
Not open for further replies.