Anyone know how to remove spray paint from fiberglass gelcoat without damaging it?

steve49

Cadet
Re: Anyone know how to remove spray paint from fiberglass gelcoat without damaging it

If it was me I would try rubbing compound and a lot of elbow grease. It ain't gonna be easy.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Anyone know how to remove spray paint from fiberglass gelcoat without damaging it

I'd leave it alone. You're probably looking at creating more problems than you'll fix.

I think they look cool:cool:

wlg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You could try Goof Off. I would try a small area to see how it affects the finish. I have used it on other things and it works good, just don't know about gel coat finish. Just an idea.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

gellcoat is really tough stuff.....out side of a hammer...not much you can do to it that is gonna hurt it.....

laqur thinner will work just fine

BonairII

Commander

If thinner doesn't work just use a mild rubbing compound. It should take off the paint fairly easily. If the numbers have been there for years...expect to see a ghosted image of them when you're done cause the rest of the boat probably faded a bit and the area under the numbers will prob be very white(assuming your hull is white, that is)

tpenfield

Staff member

Acetone dissolves paint AND polyester resin/gel coat . You will tend to find that solvents that work well on paint also dissolve gel coat .

That will be the challenge.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

gellcoat is really tough stuff.....out side of a hammer...not much you can do to it that is gonna hurt it.....

laqur thinner will work just fine

absolutely

i use laquer thinner on gel coat all the time with fantastic results - gel coat is very tough, not much out there that will damage it

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wait!!! Before you try anything make sure that it is indeed gelcoat. Kawasaki switched to painted SMC decks around 2000. That may be paint over paint over SMC.........not gelcoat.

Anyhow, I think it looks good. I'd leave it.

BonairII

Commander

Wait!!! Before you try anything make sure that it is indeed gelcoat. Kawasaki switched to painted SMC decks around 2000. That may be paint over paint over SMC.........not gelcoat.

Anyhow, I think it looks good. I'd leave it.

I didn't even see the pics til now.....DEF leave the numbers on. Nice looking IMO

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

You could consider light sanding and paint over it.
I've had good luck with citris paint remover.removing aftermarket paint from factory paint.
on 2 different items.Definately test what ever on an out of sight area.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Acetone dissolves paint AND polyester resin/gel coat . You will tend to find that solvents that work well on paint also dissolve gel coat .

That will be the challenge.

acetone does dissolve fresh gellcoat. but after the gellcoat is fully cured, it would take a really long time soaking in acetone before the gellcoat get weaknd, and then it just becomes flexible.

there is not much including several different types of acid that will even come close to harming cured gellcoat....

use the laqur thinner.

laquer thinner and acetone are gellcoat miracle cleaning solvents.

keep in mind, i do this every day, day in and day out.....i will even wet a rag with laquer thinner and place it over stubborn paint on gellcoat. and leave it there, so the paint softens.
no gellcoat issues.

QC

Supreme Mariner

keep in mind, i do this every day, day in and day out.....
And your point?

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've used acetone on gel coat many times. No affect on the gel coat.

Darn! If it would soften the gel coat, I could get all the old stuff off before I spray on the new gel coat color.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Gelcoat is a polyester resin, thus its impervious to acetone. West Marine sells acetone to clean gelcoat....DUH!!!

If its a "sheet molded compound" or other buzzword that some of the companies use, then it may not be gelcoat. Sooooo, try it on an inconspicuous place on the bottom before you go off full tilt.

Whatever you do, don't use rubbing compound or for heaven's sake don't sand it.....LOL.

I don't do it every day, but I have done it before and studied the chemistry before I did it.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

And your point?

Maybe the point is that he's been there done that so he knows what he's talking about....LOL.

woosterken

Lieutenant

try easy off oven cleaner
it worked great on the fg. hood of my semi

woosterken

QC

Supreme Mariner

Maybe the point is that he's been there done that so he knows what he's talking about....LOL.
Ding, ding ding. I think we have a winner . . . :)

southkogs

Staff member

Might see if you can get a color match, mask off and paint over the numbers. The graphic effect is pretty cool looking.