Changing the bottom color on a fiberglass boat?

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class
I might be picking up a second boat soon but I don't care for the bottom color and was wondering what it would take to change the color to a much darker color? It looks like the original factory gel coat on it. One of my concerns is, I don't want to old color to be able to be seen if there's a scratch later on because it would really stand out the difference in the two different colors. It would be like black on white the difference in the colors from what it is, to what I'd like to have it color'd.
Just trying to get a feel on whether I want to move forward with getting the boat or passing on it. The rest of the boat is good with me, it's just the bottom color that I really don't care for.

Can someone point me to a topic or two that discussing this or give me some suggestions?

Thanks,

Jeff

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Changing the bottom color on a fiberglass boat?

it would likely be cheaper to buy a boat than to have the bottom re gelled in a different color... short of just doing antifoul bottom paint... It pretty much needs to stay whatever color it already is

In short... PASS on it

chriscraft254

Commander

What color is it, what type of boat? Are you sure its gel coating and not bottom paint?? Do you have pics?

What smoke said is correct, depending on the size of the boat in question, Having the bottom regelcoated by a marina would be very expensive.

You could roll and tip it if you wanted to take on the project yourself and save bunches of dollars, lots of prep and lots of work and time.

Look for roll and tip methods on youtube, there are a bunch of them. good luck.

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's not a bottom paint, it's definitely gel coated. Can a person spray gel coating? I've got a spray gun.
No photos right now, I'll see if I can't get some this week sometime.

chriscraft254

Commander

It's not a bottom paint, it's definitely gel coated. Can a person spray gel coating? I've got a spray gun.
No photos right now, I'll see if I can't get some this week sometime.

Yes, gelcoating can be sprayed. Need the right gun, right tips, right pressure, right mix/thinning and hardener etc. etc etc. And then lots of sanding and then more sanding. Its a big job no matter how it is applied.. I am no expert on spraying, so I will leave it at that. Some of the other spray experts here I am sure will be along to guide you in the right direction if thats what you want to do.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ther are several epoxy based paint like immron that are really tough.

however, if they are scarred, they will always show the bottom color, any paint will.

if you just used a standard boat paint, you could always touch up the bottom easily.

unless you are budget conscious, why buy a boat that you have concerns about?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Jeff,
Gelcoat is not paint. I've never done it nor do I have any interest in trying but to the best of my knowledge on the subject, It has to be applied (spray or roll) and in order to set up it needs to be sealed from air with a sprayed on wax coating or plastic wrap or similar... after it sets it gets sanded for it's final finish. This is a BIG job.

MUCH easier to spray it into a waxed mold as the first layer when building a boat than to add to an existing boat.

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys, you've answered my questions. I think I'll pass on it and keep looking.