Older Key West boat construction questions

BryanR

Seaman Apprentice
I bought a 1995 Key West 15 Explorer as my first boat. I got a decent deal on it, though probably could have been a bit better.

Basically, the evidence suggests the boat sat in a fresh water lake a lot. Bottom was heavily stained with tanic acid. I cleaned the bottom, but this did reveal some fairly minor gelcoat bubbling. They are so small that attempting a repair would be difficult...nothing really to open up. The boat A) isnt ever going to be worth a lot and B) will never sit in the water long term so long as I own it. That said, I am going to not worry much about it.

However, Ive been reading about saturated foam and how much of a nightmare it can be. Since this boat was in the lake getting rained in, etc for years most likely, how can I detect if my foam is saturated? I pulled the access plate right below the fuel cap gunnel and can see and feel some of the foam there and its dry. But everywhere else I look in the bilge, both access plates, etc, I cannot see any foam.

I dont know much about the construction of this boat. I am learning. I am curious if this design is likely tomget foam water log problems or perhaps they avoided it somehow with the design.

I am still discerning the true condition of the boat though it is mine no matter what. Ill likely sell it in several years, but more than resale value, I am interesting in making sure I have a good sound boat to play with for a while.

Also, as a side note, I got a quote to re gelcoat the floor using awlgrip and came back at $825. I dont mind spending the money, as it will make the interior look so much better. Does that seem reasonable.

Will post pics of boat soon.

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Older Key West boat construction questions

I would ask over on the "TheHullTruth.com" boating forum. A lot of Key West owners there.

BryanR

Seaman Apprentice

A few pics above. The first is shortly after bringing it home. The second shows the difference in pre/post hull cleaning. The third is right before bringing it to a friend's to start buffing it (turning out nicely, BTW - nice shine being restored). Also, the boat is within the Jeep's tow rating. 2000lb tow rating and that boat is under. Jeep pulls fine, nice and stable. Part of the reason I got this small boat - needed my Jeep to be able to pull it. The last two are the floor in need of some re gelcoating. A bit worn down.

southkogs

Staff member

Hey Bryan:

I'm actually thinkin' it's a nice looking boat. Are you noticing anything particular that is making you think the foam is waterlogged? I've been out on one of those before, but I can't remember if they have a drain plug in the back (they're self bailing hulls I think) ... if yes, are you getting lots of water running out of it? Basically, if the transom is solid, and the floor isn't soft - I'd run until something tells you it's waterlogged. Don't borrow trouble you don't have, ya' know?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I have a 1988 KW 17' but the hull is the same design.

Mine is not self bailing; there is a drain at the stern.

Mine has a removable floor plate, about 5' long, over the tank but it's a dual console. I guess center consoles don't have that. You probably have a belly tank running the length of the hull and that displaces foam that would be at the lowest point.

your foam shouldn't be a problem unless the previous owner let water sit in it--that would mean leaving the plug in (duh if it's in the water) and disconnecting the bilge pump. Then it would sink, or you would see a waterline inside the boat. So even though it's a frequently mentioned boogie man around here, I wouldn't worry about it. I wouldn't bother weighing it.

No point in cutting out the floor just to look. No soft spots on the deck, not likely a problem.

Leave your plug out, raise the tongue, and watch for a constant trickle of water; that would indicate saturated foam. Put it in the water and if it sits low (below the hull stripes) you might have water.

Have you run the boat yet? that flat hull is great but beware that it will slide on you. You will have fun with that rig!

BryanR

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks.

I Water trialed it first, only time its been in water. With the time I have, id rather work on it than play with it...but that will change soon. :)

I did a fairly hard turn on a plane with it and it did skid a good bit.

No reason to think a problem, just worried I guess.

It as a removable bilge plug and also two plugs for self bailing scuppers.

OutOfControl

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Bryan, KW boats now sponsors a forum for owners.
Check it out here and don't forget to register.