1957 Cadillac Aluminum Boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbinvermont

Recruit
Thought maybe there were some other old aluminum boat nuts out there, I can't be the only one!
I bought this two years ago, and have been restoring it (during the winter) since.
It came with the original 1957 Johnson 35hp motor, and it runs great. I replaced it with a newer motor, since I plan to use the boat, and I don't want to put the hours on the old motor.

Check it out, tell me what you think!

Thanks

Dave B
Waterbury, VTbefore and after.jpg27b.jpg1.jpg29.jpg

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 1957 Cadillac Aluminum Boat

Hi dbinvermont. Welcome to iboats. Great tinny you got there!!! I'm jealous. Lots of other tin boat lovers here too. I think you might have a '58 35 hp based on the reverse two tone paint job, but I could be wrong. Don't be afraid to use that gem. They're as reliable as they are good lookin'. Great job on the resto. Gotta be the coolest boat at the doc for sure. Cheers!

btw....how did you get her so nice and shinny?

southkogs

Staff member

Very pretty boat. Welcome.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Wow, that sure is pretty! Welcome! There are quite a few of us old tin boat guys, I have a '55 and a '65, and many of the guys over in the starcraft area have old funnies. Again, welcome aboard!

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Very nice, few things nicer than polished aluminum.

Look into getting some Shark Hyde on the aluminuim bits it will keep them looking that nice for years without any polishing.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

VERY nice.

Welcome to iboats!! WooooHooooo another Vermonter!!!! :D

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer

Sweet!!!!
welcome aboard!!
:D

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Remeber to ware your RayBans while on the water! Sharp boat. Enjoy the forums.

r.j.dawg

Ensign

Beauty looking ride. Great job on the resto.

dbinvermont

Recruit

Thanks, everyone, for the positive feedback!
I will look into the Sharkhide. The possibility that the oxidation will return is a real concern, especially after a full winter of buffing!
Which reminds me, it was asked how I shined it up. I found a video on Youtube showing how aluminum fuel tanks on tractor trailers are brought from oxidized to a mirror finish using rigid buffing wheels and blocks of compound. So I bought the materials, and had at it. What a mess. It is done in stages, going to lighter and lighter wheels and compound, until eventually you are using automotive compound and a sheeps wool type pad. I still have a bit more of that to do.

Again, thanks for the feedback (and info). I hope to have "Silver Bullet" in the Lake Sunapee Antique Boat Parade in NH this summer.

-Dave B

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It certainly is a sharp boat. From the polishing threads here, it ain't easy but the results are great. A great intro boat, bd.

Sharp boat. Enjoy the forums.

bonz - Don't say that too loud. oops will chime in and agree. :eek:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey db, welcome to iboats!

Yah, there are a few alum boat weirdos around here...

Once you finish the polish job you'll surely want to protect it as it will oxidize pretty quick. I'd hate to see all that work for not!

Cheers and welcome!

space cowboy

Recruit

Hi! This is my first post here. (new member) I'm looking for one of those! ('56 or '57) EDIT I really would like to find one, though. I haven't seen any for sale down here in my neck of the woods in NC, but I'm still looking! Any year Cadillac runabout would be cool, but I really want a '56 or '57 Aluminum or Aluminum/fiberglass boat, as opposed to wood. (I'm not much of a woodworker!) Yours is really sharp! Thanks in advance for anyone that can help me find one! EDIT Thanks again!

EDIT: Please read and respect our rules cowboy.

Last edited by a moderator:

kfa4303

Banned

Hi Space Cowboy. Welcome to iboats. In addition to checking c-list and ebay, check out a site called tinboats.net. It's an entire site just like iboats specifically for aluminum boats with forums and everything, I believe they have classifieds as well. Happy hunting.

Btw, where do you line in NC? I lived up in Boone for a few years in college. Haven't been back in ages, but it was good fun. I don't miss the snow though :) Cheers!

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

I know this thread was brought back to life, but I just wanted to say that the original Johnny looks so cool on that boat with the matching paint/design.

And for the new guy, if you really want one, search the Florida craigslist ads. I saw one for sale here in Tampa Bay a few months ago. I'm sure there are more here.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had that same motor in the 60's and it was a great one. Nice rig.

space cowboy

Recruit

Sorry for the mistakes in my first post. I'll admit that in my excitement over seeing the boat on this thread, I rushed through the rules without really paying attention. (more like, hit agree and go!) I'll be a little less hasty from now on! I'm in the southeastern part of the state, but went to ASU for a bit, before moving to Texas. (UTA) I've been back here since 1985. Thanks for the tips. I'll be here often!

eimkeith

Recruit

Excellent! I just found this thread while googling for info on the boat I picked up at the scrapyard yesterday:

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.jpgphoto 5.jpg

From what I can gather it is a '57 Riviera? - OP, did you confirm yours was a '57 as well?

My plan is to polish it like the OP, but I'm uncertain if the red paint is going back on. My wife and I are discussing powering it with a jet ski conversion to keep the lines really clean (we'd fabricate a rear deck if we go that route.)

OP - did you have to source original replacement parts for yours? If so, would you share your sources? I'm missing a few bits as you can see.

Thanks for starting the thread - your boat is an inspiration - precious little imagery of polished Cadillacs so far on the internet (unless I'm not looking in the right places)

Status
Not open for further replies.