Should I Purchase New Scout Dorado 187?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinSG17

Cadet
I'm interested in buying a family and salt water friendly boat and the Scout Dorado seems to fit the bill. I can't not seem to find used anywhere and the ones that are used (200+ miles away) are 4-6 years and not priced competitively with just buying new.

I take this as a good sign...no inventory = boats a keeper.

I've kicked the tires on pricing and $31k is the number I am at for a bare bones 115hp model. Per seedealercost.com, inventory pricing is about $25k. I'm sold at $25k but I didn't know how realistic that number is of obtaining. Will dealers sell boats for a profit of only a few hundred dollars? Is the website accurate?

I don't know if I should just tell the dealer that $25k is my limit or negotiate differently. I may be interested in other boats they offer and don't want to get into a situation where they find I am being too difficult and don't want to bother with the tough negotiations.

Any opinions, thoughts, help?

the vision

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Should I Purchase New Scout Dorado 187?

I say negotiate with them. A boat is a want not a need, and if they don't want to negotiate walk away. Keep looking till you find one priced where you want it with the opotions you want.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

that's a good family all around boat.

I'm not a fan of buying new, but if you are inexperienced, not handy at fixing stuff, or would rather not, it's not a bad way to go.

southkogs

Staff member

I don't know much about the boat, but they look nice. I'm with Home Cookin' - don't much care for buyin' new. But - if you can live with losing that particular buy ($25K will go a LOOOOONNNNGGGG way in used boats right now), I'd press the dealer for the buy you want. This is business, not personal. They're kinda' hungry at the moment and may deal hard.

You'll just have to decide how to play it if it becomes clear that they can't meet your price point. I had to walk away from a car buy a couple of years ago 'cause the dealer wouldn't meet me ... and I couldn't meet them. :rolleyes:

Philster

Captain

Boat prices are regional, monthly and highly unpredictable by dealer to dealer comparisons, so there is no way to handle it exactly like car invoicing.

It's not quite like using Edmunds to determine invoice and dealer costs for cars.

Start negotiating and see what happens.

joe009

Petty Officer 2nd Class

there is nothing like a new boat.i bought a new angler in 2008.scout makes a good boat.the only draw back is the sides are a little low.not good for keeping people in the boat.make sure there is a porta potti in the boat.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

18' is too small for a porta-potty. You can work around that issue.

BruinSG17

Cadet

that's a good family all around boat.

I'm not a fan of buying new, but if you are inexperienced, not handy at fixing stuff, or would rather not, it's not a bad way to go.

I'm actually new to boating, live on Cape Cod and feel like I am wasting a lot of time in the summer by not being in the ocean.. My parents had a boat until recently and I would like to buy something of my own for my family.

I wouldn't mind buying used but I am having trouble finding used dual consoles at a reasonable price. The only downfall to buying new is really the depreciation. If I can get a great deal, depreciation becomes less of a factor as a used boat will most like incur higher maintenance costs.

Ive been using boattrader and boats.com, when looking for used boats. Does anyone know of any other big site for used boats? Would like to be in the 18-22' range, max tow weight on my SUV is 5000lbs, looking for an outboard (preferably four stroke, less noise), needs to handle the ocean well and be family oriented. I also don't want a cuddy. Scout seems to be a good choice for a solid boat at a solid price.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

for a lot of ocean use you might bump up to a 21'. I know you don't mean way offshore, but just messing around close in on good days.

Look at Sea Hunt Ultra for dual consoles. But I know from experience and observation, the center console with bow seating makes the best design for general family recreational use. yes you want an outboard.

The maintenance on a 2 year old boat is less than the depreciation in 2 years from a new boat. All boats have costs, and once the boat is a year old, it's all about the same per year until you get 10 years on it. Always something.

Status
Not open for further replies.