Removing Bottom Paint/Repainting

rickyp52

Seaman
I own a 1989 24' Sea Ray which I purchased a couple of years ago. The former owner had the boat in a well and the bottom was painted. I now rack store the boat and would like to improve the appearance of the bottom. The old paint looks like crap. What would be the pros and cons of re-painting the bottom vs. stripping the old paint off. Thanks.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: Removing Bottom Paint/Repainting

Removing the bottom paint is a good thing to do but it takes time and money.The chem peelers are the best to use but they are not cheap.Repainting the bottom to where it does not look like crap is the fastest,easiest and cheapest method.I would stay away from a full paint removal because the bottom may never get the newer look you may want.Some boat bottoms will actually get a slightly dyed appearance after all the paint is removed.Charlie

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

I was in the same position last year. The original was green and we decided to re-paint with blue. (Micron abalative) Now some of the blue has flaked off and it looks like crap again! I guess I'm wondering if staying with the same color might have been a better move? Now I'll have to re-paint again and wonder if this is an annual event?

philtheskipper

Petty Officer 1st Class

My last boat had antifowl paint on the bottom when I bought it. I just bought the same type of paint and put a new coat on. Worked great. I should mention that the old paint wasn't peeling anywhere, it just was worn off in spots. If you don't have any peeling I would just paint over the old stuff after a good scrubbing.