Bilge Cleaner Needed

18rabbit

Captain
It’s that time. :) Any suggestions or recommends on bilge cleaner. Anything available (that works) that can be pumped overboard, legally?

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: Bilge Cleaner Needed

Simple Green, Has great surfactant capabilities and is bio degradeable. :)

18rabbit

Captain

I read about this stuff in the iBoat archives. I think everyone liked it. Is it ok to pump over board?

ZmOz

Captain

Yep, that's what bio degradeable means. ;)

Bondo

Staff member

that's what bio degradeable means
The Soap might be Bio-degradeable,<br />But All the Oil,+ other $hit that it Washes Away Isn't......... <br /><br />What I do is add a Gallon of Pine-Sol to the bilge, add about 20gals of Water,<br />Then go on a Road Trip.............<br />Rough, Bumpy,Winding country roads are Best.....<br />After you think you've Sloshed it around enough,<br />Find a spot to pull over,+ Pull the bilge plug,+ Drive Home......... ;)

Drowned Rat

Captain

Find a spot to pull over,+ Pull the bilge plug,+ Drive Home
Bondo, how is this any different? Is it better to pump all the oil and **** into the woods than it is into the water?

18rabbit

Captain

Bondo – the boat only fits on an 18” low-boy trailer pulled by a tractor. It costs a couple thousand $$$ to take it around the block. I figure I’ll just crawl around under the engine and wipe everything down with a rag. Heck, it’s been awhile…I could use a bath, too! :) <br /><br />There’s not much left in the bilge that’s hydrocarbon. I’ve wiped most of the clinging residue from the sides of the bilge with dry rags. My understanding is it’s ok to pump out the bilge and whatever hydrocarbon residue there is IF you have a means of collecting the hydrocarbons. I do…a big oil/diesel-absorbing boom is in there. I think I only need to be concerned with the soap products. Did I miss something?

Bondo

Staff member

Is it better to pump all the oil and **** into the woods than it is into the water?
Better..... No..... BTW, it's on the Road, Not in the Woods........ ;) <br />And with the Millions of Gallons of Oil Leaked by Cars, Trucks,+ Buses, It just Blends in Better........<br />Of Course, I live DownStream from All the Big Nasty Polluting Mid-Western Cities on the Great Lakes......... So I Guess you Wouldn't Notice it in Lake Ontario Either......... But I'm Not going to do it.....<br />I Also use a pair of Oil Socks in my bilge....<br /><br />I made the comment because of the Dire Concern about Bio-Degradeable Soap.........<br />It reminds me of the Monsterous Fat Girl, Stuffing her face Full of Fries,<br />And Demanding a DIET Coke................. :D <br /><br />Rabbit, I guess My Way only works for Trailer Boats........<br />Sorry..

Link

Rear Admiral

18rabbit <br />After you have followed all the regs and cleaned everything up correctly and dispossed of all oil diapers in the proper places, some Joy dishwashing soap works wonders when you turn your bildge pump on! Keeping in the spirit of the post! :D :D :D