where could I find info on this boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

proflightnate

Recruit
In the movie Weekend at Bernies, there are a few scenes of the actors taking a Ferry that is supposed to be in Long Island, of course it is actually filmed in the Carolinas. The boats name is Winner Speed Queen. I think it was used in real life to commute passengers to Bald Head Island. I was just curious about the boat, if anyone knows where a topic like this could get answered then let me know thanks.

Nate

(I would post a picture but unsure about copyright reasons)

V153

Lieutenant Commander
Re: where could I find info on this boat?

Don't have a clue about the ferry. But the boat Bernie 'waterskied' behind was a Glastron.

proflightnate

Recruit
Re: where could I find info on this boat?

oh okay, thanks. I was wondering about that as well, it says Glastron Ultra would that be correct? any chance on the year?

captaint76

Recruit
Winner Speed Queen was built in the 1970's by Dynamic Shipbuilding (Camcraft Shipbuilding) in Louisiana as an oilfield crewboat and was then named Acheron. It was purchased and converted to a passenger fishing and cruise boat by Skeets Winner, owner of Winner Party Boats in Carolina Beach, NC. The conversion was completed by Gulfcraft Shipyard in Louisiana in around 1983. The boat was at that time renamed Winner Speed Queen. A flare was added to the hull to make the vessel wider, a pulpit was added to the bow, a rounded stern was added, and exhaust boxes were added to have the exhaust exit from the stern rather than from the side of the hull. During this entire time the vessel was powered by three Deteiot Diesel 12v71TI engines. It also carried two Detroit Diesel 3-71 electrical generators. This was the ownership and arrangement of the vessel as it was during the filming of Weekend at Bernies in 1988. The vessel was chartered by Carrolco Studios in Wilmington, NC to ferry the crews to and from Bald Head Island, NC and was also filmed as it was seen in the movie.

In around 2005, Capt. Winner sold the vessel to Fisherman's Wharf in Lewes, Delaware. The boat was then painted white and renamed Thelma Dale V. They have since repowered the vessel with Deutz Diesel mains. It remains under this name and in that operation to this day. If you google Fisherman's Wharf Lewes or Thelma Dale V, it will come up with newer pics and information about the current career of the vessel.

I hope that this answered your questions about the vessel. I see that this thread is over three years old so I don't know if you will even get the messages.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
I see that this thread is over three years old so I don't know if you will even get the messages.
... which is one reason why it's against forum rules to resurrect old threads from the dead ;)

Welcome aboard Cap'n. The info is cool, but please review the forum rules if you haven't already and let's let this thread go back to sleep.

captaint76

Recruit
... which is one reason why it's against forum rules to resurrect old threads from the dead ;)

Welcome aboard Cap'n. The info is cool, but please review the forum rules if you haven't already and let's let this thread go back to sleep.

I was Googling the name of the vessel to look for something and this popped onto my Google search. Otherwise, I most likely would have never written a post to the site. I am actually a professional mariner on much larger vessel than those that seem to be normally discussed here. After spending 1/2 - 3/4 of my life at sea, the last thing that I want to do is spend time out there on another boat. I read the question, knew the answers because I grew up in Carolina Beach, I knew that boat very well, the guy was asking the information, I provided the information. This is about the smallest vessel that my knowledge is in the slightest in usefulness for me to discuss. From a vessel that size it quickly goes to vessels of 1,600+ tons. Anything else and I may as well be trying to discuss nuclear technical engineering without any training or education in the field. They are really night and day different from one another.

Everyone keep safe out there.

southkogs

Staff member
Appreciate that Cap'n ... and it's cool havin' guys like you around. Makes for some great story tellin' and experience. Hope you'll stick around and play with us "little guys" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.