1985 century mirada 255

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer
Scroll down I got the boat and have some on going questions to keep it all together.

I sold my 85 wellcraft 210 that I had for about 7 years that I replaced floors and interior in and replaced motor and outdrive. But I can't really decide what to buy but I just got offered a 1985 mirada with reman motor 3 years ago and mercruiser outdrive. I have not seen it yet it is a friend of a friend but I do know it needs new interior in the cabin I guess a raccon got in there and did some damage to all the cushions. I am aware of everything else to look for like week transom soaked floors and rotten stringers. But I have read that Century makes some good boats is this true also what kind of water sports are do able with this boat and what kind of top speed should I beable to see and cruise speed.

Philster

Captain
Re: 1985 century mirada 255

Well... I'd say knowing several thing would help on speed/performance:

1. what kind of engine would help figuring top speed (4.3L carb; 5.0 EFI, etc)
  2. we need to know the size of the boat.
  3. filling us in on the size, pitch type and # of blades of the prop would help
  4. the weight of the boat (then we'd consider that a bonus).

Aside from that, we have everything we need to know: It's a boat.

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

It has a marine reman 350 two years ago with a alpha one outdrive. It is a 255 so I guess it is 25'-26' long. I am not sure how heavy they are. I am not really sure on the prop yet. I didn't know if this size boat was getting to big to do any water sports and average cruise and top speed.

Philster

Captain

Count on top speed of low 40's and a 25-28 MPH cruising speed. Tubing = fine. Loaded up, it'll take a while to plane and probably wouldn't hit 40 with a handful of people and gear. That's just the way cruisers in the size range lean on their 350 engines.

If she is a Bravo 3 (dual prop) outdrive, it would be a little better in performance.

Skiing/boarding = not so much.

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

Okay that is about what I figured atleast me kids will still beable to tube. I will have to plan to wakeboard and ski behind my buddy's crownline 270BR. I seem like I never end up getting to wakeboard or ski behind my boat anyway since always have to have a spotter and never have anyone else to operate the boat. I am happy with being able to cruise at 25mph If I want to head down to the river. I am also sure this boat should ride better than my old 210 on the river and the local lake that is always choppy.

Philster

Captain

Ride better? Yes. It will be dramatically different. You might never feel the hull slam. It's a different experience overall.

Cruisers are a whole different animal; they're a different way of boating.

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

I am going to go look at this boat sunday morning I talked to the guy last night which like I said is a friend of a friend but he has had the boat since 93 and two years ago a local marine replaced the motor with a reman. I also asked what else has been done he said he has never had anything done to the outdrive other than what ever they do on the full tune up. I am guessing it is a aplha one he said he is sure it is a merc. So he really doesn't have much idea of exactly what is really done he just takes it to the place and says fix what ever it needs. He said in the nearly 20 years he has had it he takes it to lake erie 3 or 4 times a year for weekend fishing that is the only time he uses. He is also 65 years old so I would say it is probably not beat on. He was making sure I had a truck I could even tow it since he said he had to buy a dually to pull it. He said it weight 10,000-12,000 that just seems really heavy is that even close? He really wants a center console boat since all he wants to do is fish. I guess a Raccon got in it in the storage lot and tore up the upholstery in the cabin. He said insurance company already paid him and he is using that money and what ever else to go to port clinton monday morning to see what ever he is buying. He has full boat cover, camper canvas, and bimini top. I really will have to really feel around in the boat to make sure there is not rot. Is there anywere specific in these types of boats that is always a problem area.

Philster

Captain

Its boat/trailer/gear weight would be over 9000 lbs... and that is not 1/2 ton pickup truck range. It would creep over 10k lbs full of fuel and other stuff.

Dually to pull? No. But it's a bit much for a 1/2 ton F150, Ram 1500, Chevy 1500. You need a F250 or 2500 series heavy duty truck.

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

Well I just thought it seemed heavy. Truck not really a issue I will be pulling it with the one in my signature 99 k3500 crew cab dually 4x4 7.4

Philster

Captain

The NADA guide is patently and absurdly wrong. I saw that info, but it is completely meaningless given the age and size of the boat. NADA stinks in that regard. Back in the day, the bare hull, sans every accessory known to boating, might be recorded as 4200 w/ no engine, drive, helm, etc.

A 25' closed-bow (cuddy) performance boat will check in at 5000 lbs dry.

If this puppy comes in at 4200 lbs, I'd run from it as fast as possible, because it'd be thinner than tissue paper:

20100526090931369-1.jpg

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

Well guys thanks for all the input and I am glad to be back on the forum again being I have a new to me boat. I did go look at it yesterday and buy the time we got all the Ice of the cover and found out there were was still a raccoon in the boat so that was fun to get out. I ended up taking it I did not drive my truck over yesterday so but my dad meet me there so I used his truck to tow it about 3 miles to his house and parked it there. Had to clean all the trash out of the cuddy which made a world of difference what it looks like. Here is a pic the price was so good I didn't even start it yet. I am going to hopefully get back to may parents house this week and start it then winterize it and bring it home. I need to repaint the bottom. I would like to see what it costs to have someone else do it so they can do under the bunk boards that I can not do on the trailer.
0122121539.jpg

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

Well I just called the only place local that does bottom paint I can find and as long as it does not have to be blasted first I am being told about 750.00 for two coats with some high dollar paint since it is going to be trailered. I really not sure I want to spend that I have allot of reading on bottom paint. I am not planning on leaving it in the water just wanted to clean up the old stuff.

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

Congrats, she looks like a nice ride.

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

Well Thanks I am heading over to my parents tonight to start it up (fingers crossed) and then re winterize it and going ahead and towing it home. I picked up a set of class 5 safety chains to put on it before I tow it 50 miles home tonight since there is none. I also have a two inch strap I am going to run over the back of the boat down to the trailer. There is not even the spots on the back of the boat to hook the straps to attach to the trailer. Maybe boats this big don't get back straps I have no idea.

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

Well just to let you all know the motor is cracked do to not running wire in the drain plugs and they were clogged so did not drain. So that is a another question in the merc section. But I would like to try the refrig and all the other things in the cabin. I guess I have to have have a ship to shore adapter. Electric does not scare me I have done allot of wiring. But on my ship to shore dore it says 30A 125v which is the same amp I have ran to a outside plug on the garage that I plug the camper into. But that is a different plug. I am not sure if I can buy a 3 connector twist lock end (female) to hook to the boat then a rv plg (male) to hook to my plug. Or is it okay to run this on my standard 15A outlets I have in the garage and just get the 3 prong twist lock for the boat and a standard 15A plug end. Also how will I find out if while the boat is plugged in if it charges the boat batteries.

I also need to remove the long windows on each side of the cabin and re seal them. The previous owner has silicone on them. I am not sure if I should clean all the old silicone off and re silicone or do I need to remove them and reseal. What is the best way to seal these up. If I need to pull and reseal what should I use?

I also noticed the vent in the ceiling in the cabin that goes out to the top of the bow. Does not have a latch to hold it down don't even see signs of ever having one. Has two slide tubes on each side you turn the nuts raise the window then lock them back down to hold it open. Also wood like a latch setup for the big cabin door that is able to be locked from the outside.

mercrewser

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am sorry, but I MUST say this...... My experience with Centurys of this vintage is bad. I have not yet seen one WITHOUT extensive stringer, transom and floor rot. I would look into the boat carefully before investing $$$ into it!

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the heads up, the only Century boats that I heard about that had problems were the open bow style. All of the floors down in the cabin are nice and solid, the floors on the deck are all fiberglass. Your experience with these that are bad are they in aft cabin cruisers or other styles?

mercrewser

Petty Officer 1st Class

one aft cabin, the other two were cuddies. Tighten the engine lag bolts, this will tell you all you need to know.

Philster

Captain

What are your engine plans now that the block is cracked?