Livewell Timer?

KevinWI

Seaman Apprentice
Putting in a new livewell. will have fill pump to tank w/ overflow drain line, also will have separate recirc pump for aeration.

Question is on timer(s). Should I install a timer on each pump or only one...if only one, which one? are there any timers which can operate both independently?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Livewell Timer?

operate your pumps with on/off/on switches.... up/on of both switches would connect each pump to battery positive for constant operation... center/off would be off duh...... down/on would connect to the switched positive from your timer module for automatic operation... you can thus use either or both on or off the timer at any time.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I have a timer on mine and I have it on the recirc, reason being I was loosing a bunch of bait on the way to the launch, of coarse if you have the double throw switches do it like Smoke said and you have the best of both worlds.

I have my livewell on a double throw but up is fill and down is drain and I have the timer itself for the airator so it would take a pretty good rewire for me to it, I think, I am still electrically challenged.

KevinWI

Seaman Apprentice

operate your pumps with on/off/on switches.... up/on of both switches would connect each pump to battery positive for constant operation... center/off would be off duh...... down/on would connect to the switched positive from your timer module for automatic operation... you can thus use either or both on or off the timer at any time.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Sounds exactly what I want. So if I'm reading this right I need an on/off/on switch for fill pump, an on/off/on switch for recirc pum and a separate timer module wired to both? I've seen timers with a switch already integrated. If just a module is all I need without an integrated switch, anyone have a source for this module? Thanks again.

KevinWI

Seaman Apprentice

and of course the switch panel I have on order are only two way switches....oh well, will have to return them and get a three way switch panel.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

if you have to just flip the switch on and ziptie it up out of the way

KevinWI

Seaman Apprentice

The timer module has one green wire (power to pump). Even if I were to add a splitter wire to each pump, how would the timer know which pump to power on...it would seem, no matter which switch is turned on, that both pumps would come on at the same time.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

The timer module has one green wire (power to pump). Even if I were to add a splitter wire to each pump, how would the timer know which pump to power on...it would seem, no matter which switch is turned on, that both pumps would come on at the same time.
the switches either go between the green wire and each of the pumps or between the pumps and battery negative.

KevinWI

Seaman Apprentice

Not sure how this is going to work on a prewired switch panel. All the switches are ground in series

8s_back.jpg

5s_plug_label_terminal_block.jpg

520.jpg

KevinWI

Seaman Apprentice

would I need to split the green into two wires to go to each switch?

KevinWI

Seaman Apprentice

Pretty bad when I call the manufacturer of the timer to figure out how to wire two switches to one timer to two pumps and they don't have a clue. They suggested buying another timer.

KevinWI

Seaman Apprentice

Panel arrived today
file.php

Tell me if I've figured this out. The livewell and aerator switches are the two 7 pin switches starting 3rd from the left.

From the timer there are two red wires (one piggy backed), one green (with a piggy back adapter) and one black (piggy back adapter)

From the panel configuration I should do the following with the leads of the timer above:
connect the black wire to the very top male adapter on one of the switches.
connect one red to the top of each switch.
connect the green to the bottom of each switch and add a piggy back from each one to go to the brown wire on each pump.

I really don't think I've got this right.

KevinWI

Seaman Apprentice

appreciate your trying to help...I tried it your way, but it didn't work. Jumping breakers from 2 to 5 leaves no power to 3 & 4.
I realize the power is to come from the green wire, but now I don't have any idea where to get the power to the timer, so I hooked a lead directly to the center open switch adapter. So then I was left with two leads to the pump (one down, one up) so I had to hook them up to the pump....now what I was afraid would happen, did happen. no matter up or down on the switch, the pump runs thru the timer....so no constant (manual) fill....

Aw heck...I'll just buy another timer module $35 is not worth this headache.